AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a mid priced receiver for 70% HT use and 30% music for a soon to be purchased 5.1 setup. I'm looking to spend around $700 and had pretty much decided on the HK 630 until I read about the dropout issues and defect issues that some users had. (I relaize that every brand has its critics and supporters so I do take some of the HK negative feedback with a grain of salt) Thinking that it may not be prudent to purchase a receiver that needs to have the kinks worked out.

Here's my general issue- I don't know what half of the features on the Denons/HK/NAD/Pioneer Elite actually do/mean. It seems like ther is give and take with all of the receivers mentioned but I have no idea how to prioritize each receivers' features; Upconversion, down conversion, multiple crossovers, 5 different DSP modes, future firmware upgrade capability. I've tried reading the the owner's manuals off of the net but I think some assume a basic level of knowledge. Cnet and Crutchfield have some tools to explain the basics for mostly lower end receivers.

Does anyone have a link for a website that could give me information on the critical features I should be considering and which receivers can help to minizimze the chance that I will be spending my hard earned money on a receiver that will be outdated in the near future? (Still using my Denon DRA555 for 2 channel listening after 15 years to give you an idea of how long I keep equipment) I need clean and strong power to drive Paradigm, Rocket or Axioms in a 25 x 18 room with 14 foot ceilings.

If a newly upgraded receiver is being released in the coming months, I can wait but I really want to buy a receiver soon if I can decide on the brand model.

Thanks

Sul

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One clarification on the above question- when referring to a $700 receiver, I'm speaking of the internet price, not list. So, if talking list, I am trying to assess receivers in the $1,000 range.

Please, I need help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.