AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone piped streamed Internet content to a large format (e.g., projector) and commented on the PQ and AQ?

For example, ABC has LOST episodes available in "stunning quality". I think I read 1080i. Looks fine on PC, but what audio are they sending? How's the PQ on a big screen?

Similarly, Netflix, NBC, etc. If the quality is good, it really makes the argument for a home theatre PC (homebuilt, with all the right h/w).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm pretty sure LOST online isn't in 1080i. More likely is 720p, since that's the broadcast format and it takes less bandwidth. I don't have a projector to try it on, but since my internet connection is on the bottom tier (1.5 mbps), just watching on my 15" laptop can sometimes be a little painful but it's better than nothing. And I don't have a surround sound setup for my computer, but I assume they're sending audio in stereo.

Really, it comes down to your internet connection and hardware. If you have a relatively new computer you shouldn't have a problem with the hardware end.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Internet streaming video should look just fine on either an iPod Nano or iPod Classic. That's really the target devices for these streams. It's really much too difficult to carry around a projector and screen when you want to watch "Lost" on your way to work.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSaucer /forum/post/12930355

For example, ABC has LOST episodes available in "stunning quality". I think I read 1080i.

Well, I seriously doubt that as Lost isn't even presented in 1080i on TV.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
I have a P4 2.8 ghz, 1.2 g of ram and 5mb download, so nothing special, in fact by todays standards old and slow. I have to tell you Lost looks excellent. It is 720p. If they could get the player to fill my screen with no borders, improve the sound to at least 5.1 HD and I would be sold on movie downloads this way. I am shocked how good it looks on my 60 inch SOny A3000. It hasn't chirped or skipped a beat yet in 20 min of watching. No buffering. I don't know what they are doing, but it works well.

BUT COMMERCIALS SUCK!

·
Registered
7,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/12936244

Well, I seriously doubt that as Lost isn't even presented in 1080i on TV.

It is over here in the UK - it is broadcast on Sky One HD in 1080/50i - and as a 24p to 25p speed-up with 2:2 pulldown. It is true that Lost in the US is broadcast in 720p - but the show isn't made in this format, and other HD broadcasters carry it in 1080i...

The show itself is mastered in 1080/24p - like almost all ABC and Fox HD drama (Arrested Development was an odd one out being shot 720/24p on Varicams) - and 1080i broadcasters get 1080i or 1080p masters not conversions from 720p.

·
Banned
204 Posts
I checked out Lost the other day. It looks good, not as good as the orginal boradcast, and nowhere near as good as the Blu-ray version.

My complaints are you can't make the video full screen with no borders, and it has no 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think my Adblock extension in Firefox must also block the ads for the ABC player (though I don't know how exactly). I've watched ad-free ABC videos for a few months now

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Netflix looks a whole lot better on my 46" LCD than ANY DirecTV SD channel.

Has anybody figured out how to unbundle the ABC HD video from the Windows frame. The F11 key reduces it to a "pull bar" on the right and a "task bar" on the bottom.

Until I can watch without those bars, it's hard to take this is as a serious viewing alternative.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was able for the first time to watch Terminator "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" on my 52" LCD from fox.com. The problem is I could not get the task bar at the bottom of the picture to go away. Has anyone had success in getting a clean picture?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I watch shows from ABC.com on my 52 DLP and I'm impressed. I would say it's near HD, especially if there are no action scenes. However, Netflix streaming isn't that great. Looks worse than SD and has tons of motion artifacts.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I think ABC's HD streaming offerings looking pretty mediocre (macroblocking, etc), but FOX' one single HD streaming show: The Sarah Connor Cronicles, looks excellent- ironic because as far as I can tell both ABC and FOX are using FLASH 9 and 720p streams.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTN /forum/post/12949309

I watch shows from ABC.com on my 52 DLP and I'm impressed. I would say it's near HD, especially if there are no action scenes. However, Netflix streaming isn't that great. Looks worse than SD and has tons of motion artifacts.

not to hijack the topic but is anything on netflix in 16:9? everything i have viewed in 4:3

·
Registered
369 Posts
The U.S version of The Office on Netflix is in 16x9 IIRC. Looks pretty good all things considered.

Netflix on demand is excellent IMO as long as you have the web->tv thing solved. Its the only reason I ever launch a browser on my HTPC so its a bit of PITA.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by afail /forum/post/12957852

not to hijack the topic but is anything on netflix in 16:9? everything i have viewed in 4:3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts