AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sony KDL50W700b and love it, but I have yet to find a way to watch any programming other than what's "plugged in" to it or via a pre-installed app. I'd like to watch several international news channels (France24, DW, Al Jazeera), which I can get on a PC (or even a smartphone), but can't find a way to watch these live streams via my new "Smart"TV. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this topic? Thanks

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
^^^
Does the TV have a web browser?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't see anything like browser

I don't believe so, or I haven't found it yet. There are dozens of "apps" from the "Sony Entertainment Network" and "OperaTV" but I don't see anything that works/looks like a real browser. It seems that everything has to be run through an app.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Unless it has a browser (some smart TV's do, some don't) you probably won't be able to watch those streams unless Sony adds an app for them via a firmware update (unlikely). Otherwise you could hook your computer or cellphone to your TV to watch them. Another alternative might be to buy a Chromecast stick. I think (but I'm not sure because I don't own one) that you can wirelessly mirror your computer screen to your TV using the Chromecast . . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't see anything like browser

I don't believe so, or I haven't found it yet. There are dozens of "apps" from the "Sony Entertainment Network" and "OperaTV" but I don't see anything that works/looks like a real browser. It seems that everything has to be run through an app.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Unless it has a browser (some smart TV's do, some don't) you probably won't be able to watch those streams unless Sony adds an app for them via a firmware update (unlikely). Otherwise you could hook your computer or cellphone to your TV to watch them. Another alternative might be to buy a Chromecast stick. I think (but I'm not sure because I don't own one) that you can wirelessly mirror your computer screen to your TV using the Chromecast . . .
You can also try an Actiontec Screenbeam widi connector. If your laptop is new enough you won't need the transmitter, but the receiver connects via HDMI to your TV. You can purchase it with or without the transmitter. Amazon has them both for $79.99 and $69.99 respectively.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-SBWD100KIT01-ScreenBeam-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B009Z8T3K6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid you're right. I may have to stick with a 3rd party option. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts