AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of gamers talk negatively about interpolation because of the lag it creates. But I'm a huge fan of it because I don't play many multiplayer fps games that require you to have the fastest response time.

I play on consoles and the most frustrating thing to me is trying to enjoy a very beautiful single player game, while turning often everything is blurry due to the system only pushing 30fps.

I turn on interpolation on my TV's, (LgOLEDC6P, Sony 900f?) And it makes a world of difference. I'm a huge fan because I can turn and look around while eliminating blur.

I've been reading all over but I've never came across a good explanation of how it works with different frame rates.

Some games are locked at 30fps, some are variable, some locked at 60.

Below are my main questions.

If I have my interpolation set at maximum on my OLED tv, does it insert frames to 120 fps for all content regardless of it's starting frame rate?
Will a 30fps game be only interpolated to 60fps?
Will a 60fps be interpolated to 120? Is interpolation ever variable?

What will happen if the new ps5 is pushing 60 or 120fps 4k content and I have interpolation on? Will it look better or worse? I know my TV's have HDMI 2.0 and can receive a signal of 4k60fps, but will interpolation push it to 120fps? They are 120hrtz panels.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My Samsung Q70R can interpolate 30fps to look like 60fps with Judder Reduction setting, and can interpolate 60fps to look like 120fps with Blur Reduction setting. The main reason I leave both disabled is because they create artifacts. If it wasn't for easy to notice video artifacts I would interpolate 24fps movies since I dislike judder in panning shots.

Game Mode on my TV has 21ms input lag using interpolation (really good), but it doesn't smooth the image like it does outside of Game Mode and it still creates artifacts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts