AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, while more or less flipping channels randomly, I hit 2 OTA NTSC stations that resulted in a message something like "Copyrighted material. Press Action to switch to 480i." Now, I've heard about the anti-copy technology incorporated in all of the STBs, but this was the first time I had seen any evidence of it. The part that I found really interesting was that pushing the Action button really did switch the picture to 480i (I had the receiver set at 720p output).

I thought there were several interesting things about this. First, it confirmed that there really is some anti-copy technology built in. No big revalation, but the first time I had seen real evidence. Second, the channels that I got this on were NTSC channels, so they were already native 480i. Why would they be broadcasting whatever code is necessary to trigger the copy protection routine from the receiver? Finally, it tells me that it is very likely (at least for 480i) that a software change could allow a resolution switch from the remote, and probably for the timer function as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
interesting point.... I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but not being able to change the resolution from my remote is one of the reasons I won't go back to the panny. If they could fix that (before sony fixes the half-hour dropout fiasco) I would reconsider.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only times that I have encountered that message is on a NTSC channel that wasn't broadcasting. Active analog channels convert to whatever setting is selected with no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.