AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my earlier thread on the HLN internals: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=253009

On some closer examination of the video processor board I noted that the board was labeled "HML617WX" indicating that the XX7 and XX65 models do indeed use the same hardware, at least as far as the video processing goes. It also had a sticker (my guess is a QC sticker) with 50'" written on it. Again the processor boards seem to universal for all sizes and models.

I would guess that all of the other internals are the same, except perhaps the lamp driver in the 61", which may be different, but could as well be the same. Just set for the bigger lamp.

paul

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
tecman- do you think there are any other differences between these models besides packaging (and possibly lamp model)?

You may have heard me before about this, I'm still obsessed with sticking a 120W lamp into a 507, but they might have different power supplies / lamp starter/driver, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by venm11
tecman- do you think there are any other differences between these models besides packaging (and possibly lamp model)?

You may have heard me before about this, I'm still obsessed with sticking a 120W lamp into a 507, but they might have different power supplies / lamp starter/driver, etc.

venm11

My guess is that almost of the internals are the same. I should know more after I get my service manual from Samsung. My guess is that the lamp driver electronics is the same for both lamps, with just a different current setting. Big question is will the 120w lamp fit the smaller units, or is the lamp assembly different.

One other interesting observation in the unit is that there is a photosensor inside, at the bottom of the main mirror. that "looks at" the screen. I would assume that it is some sort of brightness feedback that may regulate the lamp drive and intensity. It may be that the level is settable and you could crank more out of the set by tweeking a setting. Maybe your's is not set correctly if you seem to have a dim image.

paul

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
tecman,

thanks for your feedback, btw.

I'm confused about the photosensor... its it looking toward the DMD or toward the screen glass? (toward the light or away?) It almost makes me wonder if it's an room ambient light sensor like some tv's have (which could also explain varying brightness of sets...)

I haven't actually bought a set yet. After lots of consideration and tweaking settings in stores, I've come to the conclusion that the 507 isn't quite bright enough for me. What's interesting is that the 4365, which has the same lamp, is quite bright enough, maybe because it's more concentrated. It should be 26% brighter than 50", if my math is correct (similar benefit as the 120W lamp would have).

Did you consider the 50" when you were shopping?

Doug

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
venm11:

It's looking at the screen. It would register the illumination on the back of the screen. Although room light would certainly influence it a bit. I would think that the light from the screen from the DLP would be more significant than room light diffused through the screen. Of course room light would have some effect.

Your reasoning that the same wattage lamp would produce a brighter image over a smaller area. Here again since the screen illumination is rated the same on the 43" and 50", it would either have to be a parameter setting or the effect of the photosensor that may be a factor. This would imply that a 43" could be cranked up 26% brighter than a 50" Maybe there is something there for you to consider.

paul

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
venm11:

It's looking at the screen. It would register the illumination on the back of the screen. Although room light would certainly influence it a bit. I would think that the light from the screen from the DLP would be more significant than room light diffused through the screen. Of course room light would have some effect.

Your reasoning that the same wattage lamp would produce a brighter image over a smaller area. Here again since the screen illumination is rated the same on the 43" and 50", it would either have to be a parameter setting or the effect of the photosensor that may be a factor. This would imply that a 43" could be cranked up 26% brighter than a 50" Maybe there is something there for you to consider.

paul

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well, it seems to me that if you concentrate a beam it will necessarily... get brighter. I had the opportunity to see both of these sets in the same bright room and they were both equally bright (or dim). Later, I realized that the 4365's contrast was at 80% by percent out of the box (store setting up fresh demo units) whereas the 507 was preset at 100% out-of-the-box. Cranking up the 4365's contrast made it ideal, even in a bright room.

All three screens are rated 400 candelas, but I can't imagine that they've engineered each model to exactly that spec, or even that their manufacturing tolerances would be that precise. I mean, the 617 is one of the dimmest of the bunch and it has the most powerful lamp.

It just seems to add up, in terms of math and physics and also subjectivity. The photosensor issue is kind of a mystery, though. Have you noticed any effect if you obstruct it? (like... put tape over it)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I dont think it's a photo sensor. Most likely it's a remote control sensor.

If you noticed, you can point your remote at any point of the screen. This would require a remote control sensor to be in the same light path as the DMD, so the light from any point of the screen gets to it.

Hope it makes sense,

Kirill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kir:

I would not have believed it but you appear to be correct (not tht I don't believe you per se, but it is a very unique design concept I didn't expect). I did some remote "sensitivity testing" and for sure the sensitive reception area appears to be the screen. I had thought that the sensor was down by the LEDs, but that area was dead to the remote.

Interesting that the lamp does have notable IR energy, so it must be filtered out in the optical engine. That would make sense since on film projectors there are IR blocking lenses to help reduce the heat load on the film. Same must be used here.

paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.