AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here is the one new nugget from the interview:

OA: Can you give us a sneak peek at any future products that are in the works at pcHDTV? What hardware goodies are coming up for the Linux crowd?

JK: We hope to have Linux solutions for Satellite and encrypted cable television users some time this year as well as a solution for Europe and other countries that don't support the ATSC standard.

Wow.. that would be HUGE. I wonder what he's got planned? CableCard could theoretically be the cable solution, but there are issues there. But, satellite?? If he has plans for satellite, it almost has to be an external solution.

Could he be developing a low cost HD encoder card? So we could record the HD output from satellite or cable boxes? That would be incredible..

·
Registered
61 Posts
It would certainly be awesome to have a solution for encrypted cable on linux.

Just a guess - but I figure the card would have a DVI out port on it and a cablecard slot.

Not sure how this thing would fit into a mythTV setup. Hopefully more details will follow.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It could be cablecard, but the more I think about it the more I doubt that. Since he also mentions satellite and even European sources, it would seem like something grabbing the decoded signal might be likely.

My guess is a card with analog HD input, taking component in and outputting MPEG2. This used to be cost prohibitive, but there have been announcements of lower priced chips ( http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=13260 ) that could make this feasible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.