AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
"Apple CEO Steve Jobs recently said that "clearly, Blu-ray won the format war," but noted that all next-generation physical media won't serve a purpose, because consumers will receive content digitally."


Why is it that Michael Bay believes that because MS offers digital downloads that they want to "take over the world", but when Apple not only offers them, but also offers a hardware device to help make this a standard it's simply "OK" with him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 /forum/post/12888298


"Apple CEO Steve Jobs recently said that "clearly, Blu-ray won the format war," but noted that all next-generation physical media won't serve a purpose, because consumers will receive content digitally."


Why is it that Michael Bay believes that because MS offers digital downloads that they want to "take over the world", but when Apple not only offers them, but also offers a hardware device to help make this a standard it's simply "OK" with him?

Because apple is in bed with blue ray, Thats why!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts
"From a strictly consumer standpoint, HD DVD seems to make the most sense: players are cheaper, combination discs are possible, which enables a smooth transition. Blu-ray players are still in flux and current models except the PS3 won't be upgradable to Profile 2.0. Blu-ray is pitching players that will be obsolete in a year, and discs that lack the interactivity found on HD DVD. Why hasn't there been more of a marketing message on this from HD DVD?"


Interesting read. I hope they stick it out. Competition is good for everyone.


Could you imagine having only one choice in automobile company?


Cliff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Universal should, on the day before they ship American Gangster, announce to all retailers that, due to "manufacturing problems", the DVD has been postponed indefinitely and that all orders will be fulfilled with the HD DVD Combo version. Due to this "error", they will drop the MSRP to that of what the standard DVD was supposed to be.


I can dream, can't I?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
Glad to hear the continuation of the combo disk. That could be an important advantage if they could undercut BD HDM pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/12888357


Could you imagine having only one choice in automobile company?


Cliff

Not a very good argument, Cliff.


Automobiles are a necessity, HDM is not -- it's a luxury.


It makes sense to have one HD format for mass adoption; otherwise, there will be confusion and HDM dies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/12888477


Glad to hear the continuation of the combo disk. That could be an important advantage if they could undercut BD HDM pricing.

With combo pricing eclipsing standard DVD pricing and even being higher than some BR pricing, there's no way they are going to "undercut" anyone. They've got to find a way to get the pricing down to around $19.99 if the combo thing is going to take off. Of course, we know this won't happen, but hey..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
I liked the part where he said "I dont think there is any ill intent here", when speaking on unification of the 2 formats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/12888564


I liked the part where he said "I dont think there is any ill intent here", when speaking on unification of the 2 formats.

The best part had to be "After Warner essentially stabbed you in the back.." I actually laughed out loud when I read that. It's always amusing when someone in the media actually calls something the way it actually is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 /forum/post/12888451


Screw the combo format, why not go with Twin Format? I've never understood why they don't just go with Twin Format.

The only proven Twin is HD15/DVD5 and they fear that some DVD players can't handle that and the space is limited. The TL Twin (HD30/DVD5) is not out yet, so it is not proven technology in the many different players/firmware out there.


I do hope they can create Twin in the near future, combos are more expensive to create and there are a lot of people that don't like double sided discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/12888357





Could you imagine having only one choice in automobile company?


Cliff



I don't know. We were all driving the same DVD car for the past 10 years in content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bato /forum/post/12888624


The only proven Twin is HD15/DVD5 and they fear that some DVD players can't handle that and the space is limited. The TL Twin (HD30/DVD5) is not out yet, so it is not proven technology in the many different players/firmware out there.


I do hope they can create Twin in the near future, combos are more expensive to create and there are a lot of people that don't like double sided discs.

Do you have any articles on this? or is it speculation on your part? I've heard nothing like this

They Used the Twin already with two release's now and no problems ever have been reported
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 /forum/post/12888451


Screw the combo format, why not go with Twin Format? I've never understood why they don't just go with Twin Format.

Exactly. For as long as Universal releases combo discs, is as long as I will spend my money elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan /forum/post/12888770


Do you have any articles on this? or is it speculation on your part? I've heard nothing like this

They Used the Twin already with two release's now and no problems ever have been reported

This was under discussion in the insider thread, which coincidentally was suddenly killed. According to insiders the Combo is expensive to replicate but the Twin disk is much easier and less costly, apparently more like a DVD and able to use standard DVD lines.


However current twin disk has a limited capacity with dual layers.

It would probably require that studios created 720p encodes for the hd dvd side similar to what is up on XBLM, although presumably even a bit better.


According to insider:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McMahon

Yes, and an interesting idea, but 99+% of consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 720p product and a 1080p product on todays screens at normal viewing distances.


If they just did a really well-encoded 720p SKU, called it HD and didn't tell anyone, most people (except perhaps those on this list) wouldn't know the difference.

Combo allows them the capacity to do the larger 1080p encodes for the hd dvd and generally eliminates capacity issues while still keeping compatibility with all dvd players which clearly they would like to maintain:

Quote:
We released American Gangster and put it on combo disc (with DVD format on one side and HD DVD format on the other), because if there was confusion about the future, you don't lose an investment because you have both an HD DVD and a DVD. Look at how many machines exist with DVD. We don't want to limit our customers; we want to be as consumer-friendly as possible. It's hard to communicate everything, but once you start getting into the mass world, word of mouth is also very important.


NM: Will all future Universal HD DVD releases be combination discs?


KG: All of our new releases that Universal has made since last September have been combo discs [with standard DVD on one side]. We have no plans to change that, and our retail partners are saying if you want to go to the mass market, you don't want to limit consumers into only being able to play it on one device.

Is it possible to move to Twin Disks instead of combos?

If the insider thread were not suddenly silenced perhaps that answer would have been forthcoming...
 
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Top