AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In partnership with Blumhouse Television Into the Dark is an anthology series inspired by a holiday in every month in which its released that will deliver viewers 12 self-contained stories — a new episode premiering each month over one year...every episode is tied to a specific holiday, starting, naturally, with Halloween...the first episode 'The Body' written by Paul Davis and Paul Fisher, follows “a sophisticated, overconfident hitman who always carries out his work in style” amidst the “selfie culture of Los Angeles” on Halloween night...

Into the Dark is set to premiere on Hulu on October 5, 2018...the second episode ('Flesh & Blood') airs on November 2, 2018

Into the Dark: The Body Trailer

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Haven't heard much about this series - any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hear it's a mixed bag...the April installment 'I'm Just F***ing with You' seems to be the consensus best episode so far...I'm a big horror fan so I'll probably check this out when I get around to using my free Hulu trial...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've seen every one so far. "Pooka!" is the only episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. "All That We Destroy" had potential for Black Mirror level of quality, but lost a lot of steam about halfway through. "I'm Just F****** With You" certainly had its moments. The rest is essentially generic.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Into the Dark Renewed at Hulu, So Get Ready for Another Year of Holiday Scares
By Jordan Crucchiola and Josef Adalian, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Aug. 21, 2019

Hulu and Blumhouse are headed back Into the Dark: The Disney-run streaming service has ordered a second season of the Blumhouse TV–produced horror anthology, Vulture has learned. Launched last October, the franchise’s monthly feature-length installments each offer a twisted take on an American holiday or tradition. Hulu has ordered nine more episodes of Into the Dark, on top of the 15 episodes it previously greenlit, ensuring the series will remain in production through September 2020.

According to Blumhouse TV co-presidents Marci Wiseman and Jeremy Gold, the first batch of Into the Dark episodes were successful enough that the studio plans to stay the course for round two. “What we want to replicate is the kind of the filmmaker-driven vision for the films,” Wiseman told Vulture. “We’ve brought Hulu filmmakers who are vision first, script later, and they have been unbelievable partners in letting us build this collection.”

Jordan Helman, Hulu’s vice-president of content development, said Blumhouse’s “deep roots in the horror genre and their commitment to showcasing up-and-coming artists” has translated into a devoted audience for the monthly franchise. While Hulu (like all streamers) doesn’t release specific viewing data for its shows, “Into the Dark allows us to super-serve one of our most engaged and passionate audiences,” he said.

While installments of Into the Dark feel like feature films (or well-done TV movies), each one is shot in about three weeks and is made with a “television infrastructure,” according to Gold and Wiseman. That means they’re produced more like TV episodes, and Gold says that strategy will continue with season two: The next slate will similarly stagger topical stories with installments that are just plain old horror madness. “The idea is diversity of entertainment within the collection rather than sameness,” Wiseman said. “We lean into the fact that it’s a fun experience to come every month and you don’t quite know what’s coming, rather than seeing something expected.”

The best episodes of Into the Dark so far have been rooted in allegory, with the self-care culture satire New Year, New You and the immigration horror story Culture Shock setting creative high bars. A strength of the franchise has also been its blend of new and experienced filmmakers. Last year’s Christmas episode, Pooka, came from director Nacho Vigalondo, who already had a handful of features under his belt like Timecrimes and Colossal. Culture Shock, meanwhile, was the first full-length film helmed by the actress, writer, and prolific short film director Gigi Saul Guerrero. Blumhouse TV operations are separate from the company’s features division, but the “relationship sharing” across departments aims to integrate filmmakers into the greater Blumhouse network.

That’s already happened a couple of times with Into the Dark. New Year, New You’s Sophia Takal co-wrote and is directing this December’s reboot of Black Christmas, while Guerrero will direct an episode of USA Network’s Purge TV show next season, in addition to developing another project for the studio that Wiseman says “could go in a bunch of different directions.” Adds Gold, “We all spend a lot of time talking about where we can double down on artists together. It’s actually a goal and a focus, not just a happenstance thing.”

As for what’s coming up in the near-term for Into the Dark, Wiseman said the final installment of the first batch will “explore some more kind of social issues.” She added that International Daughter’s Day has been considered as a hook for the September episode, though they’re not going to spoil the surprise. In regards to franchises within the franchise, Wiseman tells Vulture that the Blumhouse TV team is looking into “quasi-sequels” for fan favorite characters as well. “This is really an opportunity to have people who are iconoclasts or people who don’t work within the system traditionally come and work with us in a very regimented system with all this infrastructure,” says Wiseman, “They get to really to play within that system to see their kind of creative vision.”

Episodic anthologies have become increasingly popular in the streaming era, from Netflix’s Black Mirror to the recent CBS All Access reboot of The Twilight Zone. More are in the works, including Amazon’s adaptation of the New York Times’ Modern Love column, which is set to debut in October.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/into...-season-2.html

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hopefully some more risks will be taken. The vast majority of these offerings have been as cookie-cutter as can be. "Pooka!" remains the only episode that exudes original thinking and execution.

Edit: I forgot about "Culture Shock." That was actually a very well done episode.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen any of these yet but I give them credit for originality in terms of sticking to their once a month schedule and creating each episode based on some holiday in that month...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I haven't seen any of these yet but I give them credit for originality in terms of sticking to their once a month schedule and creating each episode based on some holiday in that month...
It is a neat format, and although I spoke negatively about the overall quality, I am glad that it will continue. As far as modern anthology series go, it has been far better than the current Twilight Zone and a bit more interesting than the second season of Room 104.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a neat format, and although I spoke negatively about the overall quality, I am glad that it will continue. As far as modern anthology series go, it has been far better than the current Twilight Zone and a bit more interesting than the second season of Room 104.
I'll probably just check out those 2 episodes you mentioned along with "I'm just F****** with You" to check out the quality if I ever get around to watching this...I'm a big horror fan so I was expecting at least 6 out of 12 to be good

·
Registered
522 Posts
"A Nasty Piece of Work" is a reminder that it's worth wading through numerous awful episodes to come along to something such as this. I accurately predicted the ending once the story developed, but that is only because it was done well enough to make me actually expect the unconventional conclusion.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
‘Into The Dark’ Sets Britt Baron, Anna Lore, Benedict Samuel, Anna Akana For Valentine’s Day-Themed Installment Of Horror Anthology

EXCLUSIVE: Get ready for a heart attack. The forthcoming Valentine’s Day installment of Blumhouse Television’s horror anthology series Into the Dark has unveiled its cast which includes Britt Baron (GLOW), Anna Lore (Doom Patrol), Benedict Samuel (Gotham) and Anna Akana (Let It Snow) to star in the series which will also feature Ally Maki (Toy Story 4) and Sachin Bhatt (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow). The movie will debut on Hulu February 7.

Written and directed by Maggie Levin, “My Valentine” will follow a pop singer whose songs and artistic identity have been stolen by her ex-boyfriend/manager and shamelessly pasted onto his new girlfriend/protégé. Locked together in a small concert venue after hours, the three of them confront the emotional abuses of the past…until things turn violent.

Into the Dark‘s “My Valentine” will be executive produced by Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill. The monthly horror event series comes from Jason Blum’s independent TV studio. Each feature-length installment is inspired by a holiday and features Blumhouse’s signature genre/thriller spin on the story. Recently, they debuted their New Year’s-themed “The Midnight Kiss”. Other installments include the April Fools’ Day-themed “I’m Just F*cking With You”; the Mother’s Day-themed “All That We Destroy”; July’s “Culture Shock” and most recently “Pilgrim” for Thanksgiving.

Baron is repped by ICM Partners and Principal Entertainment LA. Lore is repped by Kevin Donahue Management and Paul Hastings. Samuel is repped by Talent Works, Management 360 and United Management (Australia). Akana is repped by CAA and Coronel Group. Maki is repped by Abrams ARtists Agency and Haven Entertainment. Bhatt is repped by Pakula/King & Associates and McKeon/Myones Entertainment.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/into-the-dark-hulu-britt-baron-anna-lore-benedict-samuel-anna-akana-ally-maki-sachin-bhatt-hulu-anthology-1202824310/

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Hulu’s ‘Into The Dark’ Sets Barry Watson, Sonita Henry, Marvin Jones III & Lilli Birdsell Among Cast For Independence Day-Themed Installment Of Blumhouse’s Horror Anthology

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu’s Into The Dark has set the cast for its upcoming Independence Day-themed installment and has persevered through COVID-19 to finish the July episode of the Blumhouse horror anthology.

Barry Watson (The Loudest Voice), Sonita Henry (Krypton), Marvin ‘Krondon’ Jones III (Black Lightning), Lilli Birdsell (Doom Patrol), Kate Cobb (Scandal), Ezra Buzzington (Crossbones) and Joshua Burge (The Revenant) star in the episode, which airs on July 17 on the streamer.

The episode, which is written by speechwriter-turned-screenwriter Alston Ramsay and directed by Julius Ramsay, who has helmed episodes of The Walking Dead and The Purge, is titled The Current Occupant.

Trapped in a mysterious psychiatric ward, the episode follows a man with no memory comes to believe that he’s the President of the United States and the subject of a diabolical political conspiracy. As the asylum’s soul-crushing forces bear down on him, he fights to preserve his sanity and escape so that he can return to power.

The Current Occupant is the 22nd instalment of the franchise, which takes a different subject related to a holiday that month and turns it into a feature-length episode. It is produced by Blumhouse Television.

This episode had to brave the COVID-19 production shutdown. Blumhouse managed to finish production and the post team has been working with director Ramsay to edit the film remotely.

Watson is repped by Innovative Artists and Trademark Talent, Henry is repped by Hatch and Authentic Talent and Literary Management, Jones is repped by Buchwald and 11:11 Entertainment, Birdsell is repped by Kazarian/Measures/Ruskin & Associates and Thruline Entertainment, Cobb is repped by Innovative Artists, Buzzington is repped by BRS/Gage and Stagecoach and Burge is repped by Clear Talent Group and Circle of Confusion.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/hulu-into-the-dark-cast-blumhouse-july-1202933107/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts