AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to introduce myself. We moved into our home about a year ago, and I've finally been given the go ahead (husband approved!) to start planning out our new home theater/game room area. We're planning on being in this house for a while, 10-15 years at least, so I want to make sure we do this right.

I've been following all of your threads, and I just want to say that some of these builds are fantastic, you guys have all done great jobs!

I'm working with a blank slate, basement has never really been touched, but I do have a few limitations. Current floor to joist height is about 7'8", will end up being less once a real ceiling is put in. There are some load bearing poles that are a pain (aren't they always?), and the water heater and furnace could be in a better position (may have them moved). Ah well, I'll work with what I have.

Here's a pic of my current basement with measurements:

Anyway, haven't really decided what we're going to do with it yet. We definitely want to keep it somewhat open, for entertaining, a bar I think is required, but I keep going back and forth on whether to put a full projector and screen down there or to go with a nice sized tv (we currently have a pioneer kuro upstairs, and I love the thing). Hubs has a pool table on his wish list and I keep scratching my head on how to fit one down there (he doesn't want anything less than a 8x4).

It's going to be slow going for me cause I'll be working by myself on top of a 50 hour work week. But I'm excited to start planning this out and researching all the fun toys to go with it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's easy enough. Here's the new diagram with the 3 windows (back walls) and the rough in.

Here's a few shots of the basement as it is currently:

Shot of the Front as you come down the stairs:

Moving to your left (clockwise along the diagram)

Alcove with Sump Pump:

Head on shot of the alcove with sump pump:

Area behind the stairs:

Coming around the stairs:

Close up of Rough In:

Now the fun part of figuring out what will fit where begins! And I think I've solved the dilemma of choosing between a big screen/projector and a panel tv, I'll do both! Hooray for problem solving.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
OK first things first. In case of fire I don't see a window large enough to escape without going up the stairs (where the fire would be).

More and more jurisdictions are requiring an emergency egress window in basements that get finished for living spaces. A bedroom almost always requires it.

The easiest way is to just cut a larger hole where one of the existing windows sits and put in an egress window with a window well out side that has stairs to climb out.

So look at your windows, consider what is outside and pick one for the emergency egress.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. It's nice to see another gal enter this testosterone highway. Everyone here is such an incredible resource and extremely giving. And the fact that got BIG chiming in already will help tremendously.

I couldn't agree more with BIG. Projector all the way. You have a really big space to work with so you definitely have the room.

My biggest piece of advice is to spend as much time going through the different threads to see exactly what you want and then plan accordingly. It's going to be a great ride!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
As Queen said next step is to do some reading/research. Here are some pointers to get you to areas where information is summarized rather than wandering around this maze.

A post of mine:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15138539

A thread with an excellent set of links in the first post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14176345

Someone started a Wiki of best practices in HT construction:

http://www.wikibestpractices.com/ind...tle=Home_Media

Just a heads up there is a lot more traffic over on the dedicated theater page and since you are now thinking of playing with the big toys you will get more help over there.

So spend a couple of days reading the various background links and linked links, take two aspirin and get started with your plans.

One thing I would check: if your builder had a finished basement option, he might have had a floor plan diagram and it would give you a starting point. I see a lot of plumbing, a sump pump and support poles offering some real challenges.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/15495620

Sump pit is a pest.

Agreed! What are my options regarding enclosing it? I'm sure it needs to be accessible, and I'd imagine resistant to moisture. What do people normally do in regards to hiding their sumps? Or are they normally near the furnace/water heater in which case you would just build a utility room around them.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
I think the alcove by the sump is the future home of your theater.

Carpeted trap door in the rear riser for access to the sump.

A little PVC work to tuck that one run closer to the wall.

Soffits around the ceiling to hide the other ceiling mounted drains.

Piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I had one in my old theater. I built a box over it and intended to throw a popcorn machine on it had I not sold.

See the back corner w/junk in this pic.

If I had a bigger space, the trap door on the riser would have been my choice, same as Big suggests.

Depending on the pump noise can be an issue, there are options (spendy) for quiet pumps - from my clipping files, advice is a few years old to the extent model change, I used a zoeller pump that was fine.

Quote:
jeffleonard

Z2 & Panamorph Fan

I sell sump pumps (along with many other things) for a living.

The quietest pump I have ever heard (and it's in my basement) is made by Barnes pumps. It's a 1/2 HP and puts out near 4000 GPH. I have had people complain that they can't hear it, so how do they know it's working? Can't please everyone...

Get yourself a battery backup, too. And don't go cheap, the

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that was my original thought as well (even pondered the trap door!). My only concern was that in order to really fit an aisle wide enough for people to comfortable enter I would need to have the aisle on one side and have the seating and screen not exactly center. And I'll be the first to admit I'm kind of anal rententive about things being even, and I'm afraid having seating that's not perfectly center would eventually bug the hell out of me.

My other thought was to use the area to the right of the stairs (as you come down them), do a bar behind the two rows of seating. I plan on doing a couple renderings this weekend of both ways, and see what I like best. Pool table, if I can manage it, would go in the section behind the stairs (possibly move the water heater).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the site. Basements are a blast. My wife and I finished ours this past year, our first family party was last week, and it was so much fun, we can't wait until our next one.

Looking at your basement, the biggest issue I see is the post placement. Obviously, the builder wasn't thinking about how to best set stuff up for later finishing, but, all you can do now is move stuff around to work.

I'd move the furnace, and water heater under your steps by the two weird posts. They are in such a bad place that you might as well build a little room there just for storage and them.

I agree with dc in putting your theater in that long room. As long as the room above isn't your childrens bedroom... Then you could put your future pool table partially in that other room going into the open area, so that you could still see the theater from the pool table (big points scored for being able to play AND watch tv!).

Screen size of 10 foot wide would be perfect in that space, which is 130" diagonal on a 16:9 ratio. Which would allow you to put in a bank of three recliners. (four across would be too wide), The trick would be to find some narrow enough to allow walkways on the sides. Although if you built a stand and went with a two seats then a back row of 2 seats, you could put the riser right over top of the sump effectively covering it!

Your bar would fit on the opposing wall next to the new bathroom, with views of the pool table, and further off the theater.

Here is mine.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061375

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15495861

Agreed! What are my options regarding enclosing it? I'm sure it needs to be accessible, and I'd imagine resistant to moisture. What do people normally do in regards to hiding their sumps? Or are they normally near the furnace/water heater in which case you would just build a utility room around them.

My sump pit was in the worst possible place...but I finally figured out how to "hide it".

Here is a shot of my front wall BEFORE...the sump pit is Front Left.

I can access it from removing the top lid and I have about 6 carefully placed screwes that will allow me to remove the framing and facing on the front sides to get full access.

Follow the link in my sig for full build thread.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you have a huge basement!

·
Registered
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15484496

I just wanted to introduce myself. We moved into our home about a year ago, and I've finally been given the go ahead (husband approved!) to start planning out our new home theater/game room area. We're planning on being in this house for a while, 10-15 years at least, so I want to make sure we do this right.

I've been following all of your threads, and I just want to say that some of these builds are fantastic, you guys have all done great jobs!

Welcome. Good luck with your build. I am in a similar situation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts