AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to make sure I am getting all the power from this amp. I have a dual 2ohm sub wired in series in the enclosure for a 4ohm load. On the speakon connector on the box, I have it wired with the 1+/1-.
My speaker cable is 12awg wired to speakon connectors. The connector that plugs into the box is the same 1+/1-
On the amp end is where I'm unsure. I have the speakon connector wired 1+/2+ and plugged into channel A. On the input side from my Onkyo 3008, it is rca to XLR going into the chn A input.

I then hooked to my laptop and set the amp in bridged mode. My question is do I wire my cable to 2 speakon connectors using the 1+ on one connector, and the 2+ on the other connector? Then plugging into channel A and B???
I'm asking because I pretty much have to crank the amp up all the way to get serious bass. I had to bump the sub channel level on the Onkyo up to +6db to start(usually keep it at 0) Then in the inuke software, crank the gains up almost all the way. Then turn the front level control on the amp pretty much all the way.
When using my Velodyne plate amp rated at 1000w, I usually have my amp set to about 25%.
???????

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
You should be asking this question in the DIY forum.

But essentially XLR is 12db higher voltage than RCA.
If your AVR can't do it, then you'll need to buy one of these: http://www.parts-express.com/art-cleanboxpro-stereo-balanced-unbalanced-converter--245-868

You should be able to clip the inuke software's inputs and outputs, if you can't, then you won't get maximum power from the amp yet.

The output should always be slightly higher in level than the input, when it comes to amplifiers at least.
0db is full power (near clipping.)
-1db is 89% wattage.
-3db is 50% wattage.
-9db is 1/8th wattage.
Anything below -9db is so little wattage as to not be worth mentioning.

-1db in and 0db out would be ideal. -3db in and 0db out is also acceptable.
Obviously if the output is lower than the input, then you won't reach max power; which is a bad thing.

You don't want to drive an amp above -3db if you can avoid it. They tend to overheat if you do, some amps can handle being ran at -1db forever, but most struggle and will engage limiters to avoid popping breakers and melting the transistors; assuming the coil doesn't melt first.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Should probably move this thread over to the DIY section; I know those guys would give you a bunch of answers within hours. I'm curious to see the responses to this as a friend of mine has a 3kdsp on the way and a SI HTD2 on the way, which sounds similar to what you've got.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Will start a new thread over there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts