AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I decided to go with the Noctua fan to quiet down my inuke. I see it comes with two different resistor options to change fan speed. Are most people running the fan as-is or should I be using one of the resistors?

Also, are most people cutting the black shroud or leaving it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I personally think you need ALL the cooling that Noctua will give and then some if you are constantly beating it, as folks have had amps shut down from over heating.

I would NOT use the resistors.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks, I will try it without resistors then. Gotta find me a dab of glue or silicon. The noctua connection is very loose (I don't want to splice the stock connector if I ever need to have it warrantied).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
OK thanks, I will try it without resistors then. Gotta find me a dab of glue or silicon. The noctua connection is very loose (I don't want to splice the stock connector if I ever need to have it warrantied).
At least 1 guy carefully peeled the stock fan label back and unsoldered the wires to the fan, and did the same on the Noctua in case he had to send it back.
Some have pulled the stock connector at the board out carefully(hot glued- has pulled out of the board), and removed the old wires from the connector and re-pinned it with pins on the replacement fans wire/pins.
Some just cut and splice.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'll see about repinning. Just not a fan of cut and splice. Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not sure if you want to do this but I did, I know the Noctua 3 pin connector is loose on the amp so I went to Radio Shack bought a cheap cordless battery with a small 2 pin connector ( the battery was maybe 5.00 ).Cut the connector off of the Noctua and reattached the 2 pin from battery and tucked the yellow wire out of the way. I have had zero problems.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine were super loose. Weird. I ended up having to splice. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I have the 6000dsp, I plugged the Noctura fans in and they worked. I ended up moving the amp, and all of the sudden the fans stopped working. It turns out the loose connectors came off. I put them back on and used a dab of hot glue once they were in place to keep them put. This is what the Behringer factory does to keep the stock fan connectors in place, and it worked for the Noctura fans as well. Just not a very well designed connector...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it just me or is the fan still a little loud without a resistor?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I don't think it's loud at all with a Noctua, if you add a resistor it will slow the fan down even more, and if you push the amp hard it will heat up more, and probably shut down...or worse.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Is it just me or is the fan still a little loud without a resistor?
Running mine with the NF-R8 (original, not redux), it's very quiet.
Me too, but in my NU4-6000 (2 fans). No resistors and I can barely hear them running with my head up close. Even after being pushed hard for several hours at a time, it never heats up. At most I get luke warm air pushing out of it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I guess I'll see what I think once I have both a 3000 and 6000 running side by side. All will be running Noctuas.

Thanks for the feedback all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts