AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have an issue with my iNuke, but wanted some feedback to make sure I'm not missing anything. Prior to final assembly of my subs I wanted to confirm that the subs and amp were working properly. I was afraid that once I drop in the woofer I'll never get it back out of the enclosure. I'm aware there is a potential for damage, so I had the gain turned all the way down. Once hooked up through the computer I could see that the amp was getting a signal from my receiver, but the woofers weren't moving at all. After turning up the gain slowly I could finally sense that the woofers were at least vibrating very slightly, but it was really only perceptible when touching them.

I have double checked the wiring, and both ends of the speakon cables are wired properly (+1, -1)

Both channels of the amp are showing in inbound and outbound signal. (Signal is being received)

My 12" subs are pounding away during the same testing off the split in the LFE output on the receiver. (So the signal is good)

What would be the best way to verify if something is wrong with the amp?

What else could be wrong?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522311

I ran into the same issue (and others as well). You have to get more output out of the AVR or turn up the gain on the inuke. Mine is up to +10 on the DSP gain. I dont know if one or the other is better

I did play with the gain some, and the meters on the right side of the iNuke application show a signal that bounces around to about -24 db. Is this too low? I figured that since the signal is going up 3/4 of the scale that it must be strong enough.

Out of curiosity, what should the woofer look like when running outside an enclosure. I certainly didn't expect there to be much sound, but figured I should see the woofer moving in and out.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522421

I did play with the gain some, and the meters on the right side of the iNuke application show a signal that bounces around to about -24 db. Is this too low? I figured that since the signal is going up 3/4 of the scale that it must be strong enough.

Out of curiosity, what should the woofer look like when running outside an enclosure. I certainly didn't expect there to be much sound, but figured I should see the woofer moving in and out.

As I mentioned above, you need to set the gains to full on the amp and control the signal level with your receiver's sub out level.

If you are getting any decent levels of signal the drivers will move violently. Be careful.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522500

As I mentioned above, you need to set the gains to full on the amp and control the signal level with your receiver's sub out level.

If you are getting any decent levels of signal the drivers will move violently. Be careful.

Thanks - I think I'll mount one of the drivers tonight and test again. I'm a bit nervous about running them on the floor as they are now which is why I started with the gain set all the way down and slowly moved it up. The "violently" that you mentioned is what I want to avoid.

I still think something is wrong though since I pretty much maxed out the gain on the inuke just to get the faint vibrations. I might also attempt hooking up a regular speaker to the iNuke with a source just to confirm that it's working properly.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522548

Thanks - I think I'll mount one of the drivers tonight and test again. I'm a bit nervous about running them on the floor as they are now which is why I started with the gain set all the way down and slowly moved it up. The "violently" that you mentioned is what I want to avoid.

I still think something is wrong though since I pretty much maxed out the gain on the inuke just to get the faint vibrations. I might also attempt hooking up a regular speaker to the iNuke with a source just to confirm that it's working properly.

The other issue is that your receiver may not be putting out enough pre-amp voltage. Most do, some do not.

You may need another pre-amp in line to get the signal boosted enough to work properly. You can also check that by running the receiver's level check function with the white noise, turn it up and test the receiver's sub out with a multimeter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522564

The other issue is that your receiver may not be putting out enough pre-amp voltage. Most do, some do not.

You may need another pre-amp in line to get the signal boosted enough to work properly. You can also check that by running the receiver's level check function with the white noise, turn it up and test the receiver's sub out with a multimeter.

Would the iNuke be showing a signal if the voltage is too low? I think you might be on to something. The signal seems good when looking at the application on the computer, but with all the gains turned up I was only seeing the bottom light on the front of the actual amp blinking.

What could I use to boost the pre-amp voltage? I'd hate to waste money on anything nice since I'm planning to replace the receiver soon anyway. Just for reference the receiver I'm using now is an Onkyo 609, and I'm planning to upgrade to the Denon 4520ci

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
It depends on how sensitive the inputs are to the LED function.

You could try a Samson S Convert or an Art Cleanbox.

There are other members that are more familiar with your model of receiver and can tell what voltage is being sent out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I went ahead and bought the Cleanbox Pro through Amazon with next day delivery. (Thanks Prime!) I'll report back when I get it all hooked up. Even if it's not the issue, I think it's worth a try at $65.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522743

Thanks! I went ahead and bought the Cleanbox Pro through Amazon with next day delivery. (Thanks Prime!) I'll report back when I get it all hooked up. Even if it's not the issue, I think it's worth a try at $65.

Definitely, you can always sell it and get back 90% of what you paid as well if not even return it for a full refund.

That will definitely get you all the signal you would ever need for any pro-amp.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522871

Onkyo's don't usually have any problem outputing enough voltage. At least not that I've ever noticed or read about.

I had read that which is why I assumed there was a problem. With that said, I think it might be a signal issue. I cranked the gains on the iNuke and the receiver and finally got the woofer to move up and down enough to see. I had to disconnect my regular subs since I also cranked the gain on the onkyo. I'll reserve my judgement for now, but it seems like I'm on the right track now. Thanks to jpmst3

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24522234

I have double checked the wiring, and both ends of the speakon cables are wired properly (+1, -1)

Are you wiring channel B with the speakon cable to (+2, -2)? Channel A is right for (+1, -1) but channel B should be (+2, -2).

Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24525203

Are you wiring channel B with the speakon cable to (+2, -2)? Channel A is right for (+1, -1) but channel B should be (+2, -2).

Mike

I have the B channel wired (+1,-1) as well. I initially switched the wiring on the speakon connectors to (+2,-2) but then the woofer didn't even vibrate. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that I would only wire it that way if I'm using a single output on the amp. The back of the iNuke lists it both ways, but (+2-2) is listed with all the A channel output options, and the B output terminal just lists (+1-1) next to it. That's probably clear as mud....

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24525232

I have the B channel wired (+1,-1) as well. I initially switched the wiring on the speakon connectors to (+2,-2) but then the woofer didn't even vibrate. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that I would only wire it that way if I'm using a single output on the amp. The back of the iNuke lists it both ways, but (+2-2) is listed with all the A channel output options, and the B output terminal just lists (+1-1) next to it. That's probably clear as mud....

Ahhhhhh, ok. I have an inuke 6000dsp and currently just use channel A for my Dayton 18" HO but will be using Channel B here shortly and thought channel B used +2, -2. I didn't know it was if using same output. At least you helped me for my future wiring. Thanks, sorry I was no help.

Mike

Reactions: jeonunh

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24525315

Ahhhhhh, ok. I have an inuke 6000dsp and currently just use channel A for my Dayton 18" HO but will be using Channel B here shortly and thought channel B used +2, -2. I didn't know it was if using same output. At least you helped me for my future wiring. Thanks, sorry I was no help.

Mike

No worries! I thought the same thing at first. Glad I could help save you some time in the future.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
My crown xls1500 I have the gain turned all the way up. I then control it from the receiver. The preamp voltage from your receiver is less than what the amplifier expects to see if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For what it's worth to anyone finding this thread when searching for a similar issue, the Art Cleanbox Pro seems to have solved all my problems. The woofers are now performing as expected, and I can finish my build. Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524045/inuke-300dsp-dayton-18-ho-issue#post_24531088

For what it's worth to anyone finding this thread when searching for a similar issue, the Art Cleanbox Pro seems to have solved all my problems. The woofers are now performing as expected, and I can finish my build. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Good deal! Glad to hear it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.