AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own four Inuke amps and have had this issue with another inuke 6k in the past. It worked fine for months then one day will power cycle off and on. Like someone pulled the plug out of the back. It results in a loud pop which scares the wife and dog.

First amp I had with this had aftermarket fans in it, so I returned the amp and got another one. I waited a month or so with the new amp, everything was fine so I swapped the previously used after market fans in. A few months go buy use the amp simi regularly and no issues. A week or so again that random power cycling is back.

I called behering they said it may be the plug the amps plugged into as I was using the same plug the previous amp was on. I changed plugs to a different power strip and it seemed to be fine. I moved the plug to a different outlet and the power cycling came back. I then put it back to the plug that seemed to not cause the issue and it continued to power cycle.

I used the same aftermarket silverstone fans in my other three inukes and they have had zero issues. Consistent things, are both amps sat in the same slot on my rack, which shouldn't have much to do with it as its less are flow restricted than the amp above it. But the fans are the same in both.

Could I have simply got two amps in a row with the same bad problem? OR Could my fans be malfunctioning somehow and causing the amp to power cycle.

One thing of note, I was not driving the amps hard at all when this power cycling occurring. They were on for about three hours before it happened but the volume was at -45 and very little if no LFE track was playing (i was playing video games for the record)

I could just buy another amp and return the bad one, I could buy more fans and see if they fix the issue, I could swap the old fans back in to see if the issue continues?
(second amp from the top)

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
I tried enermax fans, but they did the same thing after some time passed. I put the stock fans back in and have not had a single problem since. My stock fans on the two iNuke 6000's I have aren't that terribly loud anyway. My original dsp 3000 unit was a tornado until I replaced its fan. I've not had any problem with that unit, but I think the 6000's require more airflow than most of the recommended low noise/low CFM fans are allowing for. People are even reporting trouble long term with the Noctua fans in the iNuke 6000. Just not enough airflow. In every instance I've read about with problems like you are experiencing, when the stock fans go back in the problem is solved. Worked for me too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Flip the moded fans around - pulling cool air in from the front. I have a thread about it somewhere...

I predict that will solve your problems, as I documented the same failures with modded fans installed in the factory direction (back to front).

Right now you are pushing all the warm air from behind your rack through the inuke. It works fine that way if there is enough airflow (ie. the stock fans and some slightly quieter after market fans) but once you drop below a certain threshold things seem to go south quick.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi guys!
I have an Inuke 6000dsp to power two subs in my HT; my Problem is, when I power off the Inuke, a loud crack noise come out from the subs😬😬😬
Have anyone had the same problem whit the inuke? Have anyone a solution for this?
Where i buy the amp, they say, because the amp is cheap, I have always the crack noise whit the amp😳😳😳
When power on,the crack noise is not so loud; the inuke is wired whit an rca to xlr cable, on the sub out of a "cheap" Denon avr😉

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I hadn't realised that there were so many problems with '6000 that have modified fans. I never got round to replacing mine and in the meantime I moved my rack outside of the room. I guess that I may as well leave the original fans in now since I can't hear them from the next room.

I may add another pair of subs next year during a room revamp, so I had planned to just add another '6000 (same Fi Q15 that I'm using now, so just doubling up everything to have one in each room corner).

However, I wonder if there is another amp that I might be better off buying other than a second '6000 and it doesn't need any DSP since I only need the delay to the rear subs which I can use the existing '6000 for (I have a miniDSP DDRC-88A for overall sub and speaker Dirac eq).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm very happy with my Crown XLi2500, using it to power a pair of Stonehenge subs with Dayton RSS460HO-4 drivers. Very quiet and no switch on/off thumps at all.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hadn't realised that there were so many problems with '6000 that have modified fans. I never got round to replacing mine and in the meantime I moved my rack outside of the room. I guess that I may as well leave the original fans in now since I can't hear them from the next room.

I may add another pair of subs next year during a room revamp, so I had planned to just add another '6000 (same Fi Q15 that I'm using now, so just doubling up everything to have one in each room corner).

However, I wonder if there is another amp that I might be better off buying other than a second '6000 and it doesn't need any DSP since I only need the delay to the rear subs which I can use the existing '6000 for (I have a miniDSP DDRC-88A for overall sub and speaker Dirac eq).
For $350? no there is no other amp around that has that much power. I owned a crown xls 2500 and its almost twice as much as the inuke6k. It does sound nice but, its power is about half its on part with the Inuke3k. I compared them 1 to 1 and the 6k could power four ht18's @4 ohm load x2. That said there is no real DSP on the crown. Its just a HP and LP filter nothing else. The DSP on the inukes is excellent and easy to use. you have all the needed options to properly tune/setup your sub. For running speakers the crowns a far superior amp and SQ is great. THe behringer has a high noise floor and sucks for powering speakers. Sound bad and lots of hiss. But for subs its perfect.

If you want a amp with similar power the peavey 7500 dsp would be the closes. It can be run @2ohms x2 but from what i have heard it doesn't work great pushing that load for an extended period of time. When I was thinking of changing over from Inukes to a different amp setup. All the suggestions said for my setup was to run the peavey @4ohms and for the cost just stay with the Inukes.

and for the record after I swapped one of the fans back in I havent had a issue with the amp. I own four Inukes and its just one that had the issue.

You could also grab a clone amp but, I am afraid of those. No warranty and no way to get it fixed easily. But if it works it has tons of power, no dsp but a minidsp is 110 or so. If you go sealed you don't entirely need the dsp but if its a ported sub then its required.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Thanks, I don't need to go to 2ohms so the Peavey might be of interest, though I'm in the UK, so price and availability might be different from the USA. My FiQ 15" are wired to give a 4ohm load, so I'm currently running one on each channel of my '6000.

The proposed upgrade would be another pair of FiQ 15" which wouldn't need any DSP as I only need extra delay for the rear pair (which would be handled by my existing '6000). I already have the miniDSP DDRC-88A which does a fantastic job as I don't really need to do any 'pre eq' on the subs as the room gain brings up the very low end anyway, so the DSP in my existing '6000 is effectively bypassed.

EDIT: A quick search shows the Peavey coming in at more than 4 times the price of a non DSP iNuke 6000 in the UK. Looks like I may as well just stick with Beringer and leave the standard fans in for reliability since they're out of the room.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
For $350? no there is no other amp around that has that much power. I owned a crown xls 2500 and its almost twice as much as the inuke6k. It does sound nice but, its power is about half its on part with the Inuke3k. I compared them 1 to 1 and the 6k could power four ht18's @4 ohm load x2. That said there is no real DSP on the crown. Its just a HP and LP filter nothing else. The DSP on the inukes is excellent and easy to use. you have all the needed options to properly tune/setup your sub. For running speakers the crowns a far superior amp and SQ is great. THe behringer has a high noise floor and sucks for powering speakers. Sound bad and lots of hiss. But for subs its perfect.

If you want a amp with similar power the peavey 7500 dsp would be the closes. It can be run @2ohms x2 but from what i have heard it doesn't work great pushing that load for an extended period of time. When I was thinking of changing over from Inukes to a different amp setup. All the suggestions said for my setup was to run the peavey @4ohms and for the cost just stay with the Inukes.

and for the record after I swapped one of the fans back in I havent had a issue with the amp. I own four Inukes and its just one that had the issue.

You could also grab a clone amp but, I am afraid of those. No warranty and no way to get it fixed easily. But if it works it has tons of power, no dsp but a minidsp is 110 or so. If you go sealed you don't entirely need the dsp but if its a ported sub then its required.
Mine power cycled just now all by itself. I think it's the power surge and um not running any surge protector. I think the safety circuitry kicks in to protect the amp when it sees power fluctuation. That's the 2nd time it happened in the last 2.5 years. I swapped the stock fans with Noctua ones the day I bought it. It's not heat issue coz I've tortured mine to death and it never power cycled coz of abuse.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No way............ A behringer i nuke................. with problems?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, This is what happens when manufacturers brag about the cool running of class D............... That is before they remove all the heat sinking, and ship off a pc board with a box, and jet engine fans to keep her running.

One small helper may be the addition of heat sinking available for a few dollars from china. A few stick on heat sinks on the transistors and the case where the transistors are attached, may go a long way to help.

Just another 2.00 suggestion..................................................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Alumi...540704?hash=item56960bc320:g:IWEAAOSwmrlUrOiM

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.