AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, sorry if this is a stupid question, but here goes.

I want to try my hand at a DIY sub, using a kit.

So, I am going to go with the Dayton 15" Ultimax kit and I plan on getting an iNuke 6000, which I know if overkill but if all goes well, I will build a second sub to go along with it.

Here is my question:

How does the amp hook up to everything since it only seems to have XLR and Speakon connections. I know I can get RCA to XLR adapters to connect to my receiver but I can't seem to find any speakon adapters that would let me use standard speaker wire to connect to the subs binding posts.

So what am I missing here? I have a crown amp intergrated into my system already, but that has speaker binding posts so it was easy to setup. I would go with another crown, but the iNukes are a hell of lot less expensive.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24438743

speakon connector is just that. You can terminate one side speakon and the other bare/banana/spade etc. You can DIY cheaply, buy a premade speakon-banana, or buy a speakon/speakon and simply cut off the end and terminate how you want.
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190

Oh, so speakon cables just have you standard positive and negative wire in side? Thought it might be more complicated than that.

Told you it may have been a stupid question

·
Registered
822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24438776

Oh, so speakon cables just have you standard positive and negative wire in side? Thought it might be more complicated than that.

Told you it may have been a stupid question
Standard 2 wires inside (unless you get a quad cable).

Not a stupid question. Stupid not to ask when you are confused

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24440746

I bought 1 long Speakon to Speakon cable and cut it in half to connect to my Mains until the subs get built then plan to put a 90* angle Speakon on each end for the subs.

Speakon to banana cables are available on ebay.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441452

I bought some Hosa brand speakon to banana cables off Amazon for a pretty good price. Seem to be well made and were the appropriate gauge for my needs.

You really don't need those. You can just use plain old speaker wire and make the speakon cables for much less money. It takes about 60 seconds to make a cable with plain wire and speakon ends to any length you desire.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441560

You really don't need those. You can just use plain old speaker wire and make the speakon cables for much less money. It takes about 60 seconds to make a cable with plain wire and speakon ends to any length you desire.

I have never used them but from what I see a guy can go 4 pole (future wiring options) and use as 2 quick and dirty and bare wire the back of your sub with existing terminals. Pretty slick, even for a guy resistant to change.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441684

I have never used them but from what I see a guy can go 4 pole (future wiring options) and use as 2 quick and dirty and bare wire the back of your sub with existing terminals. Pretty slick, even for a guy resistant to change.
Yep, 4 pole can handle two wires for two home runs or ??

It is a great system!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441692

Yep, 4 pole can handle two wires for two home runs or ??

It is a great system!

I now see that from taking a quick peak. I formed a opinion noticing a member having a issue (forget what the problem was) and said to myself I don't want any part of that! stick with posts. I did get a few comments (guys that know me) suggesting what the h is the matter with you steve when the conversation came up another time. Now I see why.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441759

I now see that from taking a quick peak. I formed a opinion noticing a member having a issue (forget what the problem was) and said to myself I don't want any part of that! stick with posts. I did get a few comments (guys that know me) suggesting what the h is the matter with you steve when the conversation came up another time. Now I see why.

Once you try them you will never go back to posts, especially from the amp side of things. Every time I switch things around, like last night, I marvel at how nice the speakons work.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441778

Once you try them you will never go back to posts, especially from the amp side of things. Every time I switch things around, like last night, I marvel at how nice the speakons work.

Thanks jp, I'm totally convinced now.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441795

Thanks jp, I'm totally convinced now.

Sure thing. I would definitely try them, especially since they are so cheap. You can probably find a pair for under $6.

They are uber easy to assemble and you don't have to worry about an accidental short or anything due to bare wires.

I resisted them for 10 years, until roughly a few weeks ago. Now I am hooked.

I use primarily the 2-poles. But the 4s can come in handy as well.

I wish I had put them on my enclosures too. Oh well, next build!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441828

Sure thing. I would definitely try them, especially since they are so cheap. You can probably find a pair for under $6.

They are uber easy to assemble and you don't have to worry about an accidental short or anything due to bare wires.

I resisted them for 10 years, until roughly a few weeks ago. Now I am hooked.

I use primarily the 2-poles. But the 4s can come in handy as well.

I wish I had put them on my enclosures too. Oh well, next build!

All be darn, I didn't know you just made the change though. Knowing we both go back to 2003 I don't feel like quite a ooff for putting it off.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1520981/inuke-question#post_24441915

All be darn, I didn't know you just made the change though. Knowing we both go back to 2003 I don't feel like quite a ooff for putting it off.

Well, I never really had much opportunity or incentive as I didn't make many changes to my setup for quite a while.

More recently I started buying new amps and that prompted me to re-evaluate the whole setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.