AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

· Registered
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now using an inuke 3000dsp to power 2 subs in the back of my room and have the CV 5000 powering the other 6 in the front of my room. I was considering selling the CV 5000 and buying the inuke 6000dsp. I figured I'd have less chance of tripping a breaker (very rare as is, but still it would be nice to never trip it) and I love the dynamic eq function on the inuke dsp. Plus, at the price the inukes are at right now I could actually make money on the whole thing.

Running an inuke 6000 on my up front 6 subs would be = to running an inuke 3000 in bridge mode on 3 of my subs, at least that's how I understand it.

I have the SI 18 D4's so in both configurations (CV 5000 and inuke 3000) the amp would get a 3 ohm load since there is 3 drivers.

Ok, so today I level matched the inuke 3000dsp and CV using frequency sweeps and matching them up. I made sure to use the same 3 subs for both sweeps and for the comparison. I wanted to see which amp would clip first.

I used the song Bass I Love You since it has strong output at 17hz on the long extended note and also that single single digit hit.

Anyway, with 3 of the subs running on the CV I got the MV up to 8.5 over reference with the sub trim pretty hot. At 9 over reference on the MV the clip light would blink on the quick hitting note below 10hz.

I tried the same thing on the inuke. For both of these tests I was in the room where my amps are and it was like a jet engine was taking off with how loud the inukes fan was getting. Again I inched up the volume until I saw the first red blinking. I came back out to the HT room and the MV was at 7 over reference.

I went back and forth 2 more times with each amp to make sure I got it right, and I got the same results. The inuke clip light blinked 2 db's before the CV every time.

So, I guess I'll hang on to the CV. 2 db's isn't a ton but my test was just on 3 of the 6 up front subs so I would actually lose 4 db's right? No good.

I should be getting 900 ish watts from the CV since there are now only 3 drivers instead of 4 per channel (3 ohm load, the CV puts out 2500 per channel in 2 ohms) but shouldn't I be getting more from the inuke in 3 ohms since I would get over 700 watts in 4 ohms?

Could be the inuke doesn't like 3 ohms? That would make sense since it's only rated for 4 ohms bridged. It never did shut down though, and I let most of the song play at those very loud volumes (speakers off).

· Registered
21,347 Posts
carp,

just to clarify...

you tested 3 subs, 8 ohms each nominal (4 ohm coils in series), three drivers in parallel to the amp for a net of 2.67 ohms nominal, yes?

then the test was:

1. the set of three drivers to one channel of the cv5000

and

2. the set of three drivers to bridged inuke 3000dsp

yes?

· Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
14,987 Posts
Yes to the driver config assumption LTD02, but I'm a bit surprised the iNuke didn't outperform the Cerwin Vega? (Or shutdown trying)

At four ohms I think that big iron CV amp is rated at 1800 watts per channel. The iNuke has been tested to deliver around 2000 true watts bridged to four ohms.

The CV-5000 is rated at 2500 watts per channel at 2 ohm, and the iNuke isn't supposed to be run bridged at less than four ohm. Obviously it did it, but that ohm rating must be the delta? Perhaps the iNuke just can't handle the 2.7 ohm load bridged and still produce full power.

· Registered
21,347 Posts
part of the missing link in your test is that the power supply in the cv is for 5000 watts, but it is only being called on to power one channel, while the inuke was using both channels.

it is common in amp testing to see power to one channel be X and power when driving both channels be 80-85% of X.

so if running both channels on the cv5000, power per channel would drop somewhat, but i can't say how much.

· Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24346099

btw, just a random note, qsc has some sweet looking new amps:

http://qsc.com/products/Power_Amplifiers/PLD_Series/

probably not behringer level bang for the buck...

edit: $2400 lol. not quite behringer value. :)

Wow, those babies are sweet! Amazing how far things have come in the last few years.

· Registered
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24346094

part of the missing link in your test is that the power supply in the cv is for 5000 watts, but it is only being called on to power one channel, while the inuke was using both channels.

it is common in amp testing to see power to one channel be X and power when driving both channels be 80-85% of X.

so if running both channels on the cv5000, power per channel would drop somewhat, but i can't say how much.

Hmm so a more fair test would be to hook up both of my inuke 3000dsp's, one for each set of 3 subs. Next crank it up until I get a clipping light and check to volume on the avr when clipping starts.

Then hook up the CV, 1 channel for each set of 3 subs and do the same thing.

Is that right?

· Registered
5,828 Posts
What’s not mentioned is that some say a 2ohm load can sometimes sound harsh. Now I dunno if that’s because of the amp, the driver, or a combination of the both???

· Bass Enabler
21,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24347745

What’s not mentioned is that some say a 2ohm load can sometimes sound harsh. Now I dunno if that’s because of the amp, the driver, or a combination of the both???

That would only be the case if the amplifier was having lots of trouble running a 2ohm load.

· Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24347822

That would only be the case if the amplifier was having lots of trouble running a 2ohm load.

+1

I ran my CE4000s at one ohm stereo and they worked/sounded flawlessly.

· Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24347822

Yeah that’s a given but have you ever seen a guy post when it seems not to be the case? I have and have wondered if it’s a combination thing or what? Maybe it was just bias?

· Bass Enabler
21,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24348107

Yeah that’s a given but have you ever seen a guy post when it seems not to be the case? I have and have wondered if it’s a combination thing or what? Maybe it was just bias?

Well... of course it has to be a combination because the drivers are the load. The amplifier sees and has to react to that load. If it is beyond the capability of the amplifier device then it will underperform, fail, etc.

However, no, the drivers themselves will should not sould harsh but if the amplifier is having a tough time it may induce distortions that will be audible. In effect it would seem that the drivers are making bad sounds when in fact it's the amplifier. Happens all the time.

· Registered
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24347745

For the past year I've used 8 subs - 4 per channel - on the CV for a 2 ohm load and I haven't heard any bad sounds at all unless the CV is clipping and then I hear a chirping type sound. I didn't hear any bad sounds with the bridged inuke on 3 subs for a 3 ohm load either.

I'm going to so some more testing this afternoon.

· Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24348266

For the past year I've used 8 subs - 4 per channel - on the CV for a 2 ohm load and I haven't heard any bad sounds at all unless the CV is clipping and then I hear a chirping type sound. I didn't hear any bad sounds with the bridged inuke on 3 subs for a 3 ohm load either.

Also, unless you are taking measurements you really don't know what the real load is either.

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Speaking of which, what outlet/breaker combo are you using with your CV5k? In the OP you said it was rare to trip your breaker. I can trip mine if I want to with a 20amp dedicated line and I haven't even applied eq to my 4 sealed Dayton 18's.

· Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24348266

Good.. I think what applies to my situation is if not clipping the amp, I’ll not hear any difference. I have never had the need to run bridged but in the past I have noticed a few mention their golden ears could tell the difference even though they say they weren't clipping. In no way am I saying it’s the case, just a few past observations is all.

· Registered
1,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24348582

Good.. I think what applies to my situation is if not clipping the amp, I’ll not hear any difference. I have never had the need to run bridged but in the past I have noticed a few mention their golden ears could tell the difference even though they say they weren't clipping. In no way am I saying it’s the case, just a few past observations is all.

THD goes up as ohm goes down. Maybe that's what they they hear.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.