AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Vizio VT420M LCD to use as a dedicated monitor for my laptop (couldn't pass up the price). Unfortunately I cannot get the display to function at [email protected] via VGA. When I try to apply this resolution I recieve an "Invalid Format" message on the TV screen. I know my laptop can output 1920x1080 via VGA as I have done it frequently on my other TV. Getting the screen to funtion at 1920x1080 is essential for use - I don't need a 42" screen that outputs the same resolution as my laptop (1440x900). I currently have the TV running 1920x1080 via a DVI-HDMI cable, but there is no 1/8th audio in for any of the HDMI ports and the DVI-HDMI picture just isn't as sharp as VGA.

Additional Information:

Video Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7700

Drivers: Up-to-date

Working Resolutions: 1440x900, 1360x768, 1280x1024, etc

TV will function at 1920x1080 via VGA when connected to my xBox 360 (strangest thing).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Get 1/8 stereo mini pin to Red and White stereo cable adapter at Radio Shack since one of the HDMI in ports on your TV will support R&W RCA connectors.

Are you sure you selected RGB as the Input source on the TV?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18293464

Get 1/8 stereo mini pin to Red and White stereo cable adapter at Radio Shack since one of the HDMI in ports on your TV will support R&W RCA connectors.

Are you sure you selected RGB as the Input source on the TV?

None of the HDMI ports have an alternate audio input (see below).

Ignore the orange circles

And yes RGB is selected, if you read my post you would see that the TV works at lesser then 1920x1080 resolutions via VGA...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoggon /forum/post/18288743

I know my laptop can output 1920x1080 via VGA as I have done it frequently on my other TV...

Yea, got that covered...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
According to page 18 of your TV's user manua(link follows) the same minipin inpout that is used for RGB can be used for audio with HDMI input 1.

70.182.180.218/documents/downloads/hdtv/VT420M/162Manual.pdf

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18298387

According to page 18 of your TV's user manua(link follows) the same minipin inpout that is used for RGB can be used for audio with HDMI input 1.

70.182.180.218/documents/downloads/hdtv/VT420M/162Manual.pdf

Nice catch, missed that one.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, but I have never been impressed by the DVI-HDMI picture quality...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
With both screens in use are they in Clone mode or in Extended desktop mode?

Does it make any difference when you have your laptop set to only use the external VGA display and not to use it concurently with the laptop's screen?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18313569

With both screens in use are they in Clone mode or in Extended desktop mode?

Does it make any difference when you have your laptop set to only use the external VGA display and not to use it concurently with the laptop's screen?

I've tried clone, extended, and stand alone - unfortunately none of them produce a picture at 1920x1080...

Oh and thanks for finding the HDMI 1/8th in reference in the instruction manual - will keep me functioning for now.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Try setting your laptop up with the other TV for 1080p/60 over VGA and get it working correctly and confirm withe the TV's Input button if it has one that it is receiving 1080p/60. Them with out making any changes on the laptop move it to the Vizio and try it using the RGB connection and Input source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cwoggon, did you find a resolution for this issue? I recently purchased 26" Vizio TV that I am also trying to use as extended monitor for my laptop and I get the same "Invalid Format" error. The only two resolutions that work is 800x600 and 1024x768.

I have the TV connected through the VGA cable and in my graphics options on the PC, I see available resolutions upto 1920x1080 for the Vizio monitor but when I select this resolution, I get "invalid format" error.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What is the native resolution of your laptop screen?

Are you setting up the displays in Clone Mode or in Extended desktop mode? If Clone mode which display is the primary display?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me what I had to do was change my picture from wide to full and then back again. For some reason it reset my picture and was able to take my resolution back to what it was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts