Bad News Bears

King Kong

The Longest Yard

And now...

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/n...?news_id=16992

Kidman Versus The Bodysnatchers

Nicole set for Invasion

29 July 2005

We’re running out of ways to say “a remake of a 70s horror movieâ€, but never fear! This time, it’s a remake of a ‘50s horror movie that just happened to have been remade already in the ‘70s. And, for that matter, in the '90s as well. Yes, director Oliver Hirschbiegel's version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - this time simply called Invasion – is underway, and no less a personage than Nicole Kidman is set to lead the cast.

For those whose B-movie knowledge is lacking, the 1956 original was aCold War paranoia classic, where the doctor in a small American town gradually realised that the residents were being replaced by alien duplicates. The 1978 version starring Donald Sutherland is generally considered to be that rare thing, a remake as good as the original (although the focus is less on Reds under the bed and McCarthyism, and more about '70s questions of paranoia, repression and identity). There was also a slightly less successful 1993 version by Abel Ferrara, so arguably this is a project destined to be remade regularly, and Hirschbiegel is merely following a trend.

It will be Kidman's third remake in as many years, after The Stepford Wives and Bewitched, but this could suit her better than either. After all, she's actually a rather good screamer, which is really all you want for a film like this. The busy Oscar winner has five other films in various stages of production, and Bewitched about to come out, so it looks like her recent proclamation that she wants a long holiday is going to have to wait a little longer.

Director Hirschbiegel is the man behind 2001's The Experiment, and this year's stunning and Oscar-nominated World War II film Downfall, about Hitler's last days in the bunker. After the success of that film worldwide, it's little wonder that Kidman and the rest of Hollywood's finest are queuing up to work with him.

Filming is due to start in October – as ever, we'll keep you up to date with future news.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yep another Remake..........But

I'll rent or buy the HD-DVD when It's released :eek:

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Not a good idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss
As further proof that Hollywood has few original ideas:

War of the Worlds

Bad News Bears

King Kong

The Longest Yard

And now...

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/n...?news_id=16992

Kidman Versus The Bodysnatchers

Nicole set for Invasion

29 July 2005

We’re running out of ways to say “a remake of a 70s horror movieâ€, but never fear! This time, it’s a remake of a ‘50s horror movie that just happened to have been remade already in the ‘70s. And, for that matter, in the '90s as well. Yes, director Oliver Hirschbiegel's version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - this time simply called Invasion – is underway, and no less a personage than Nicole Kidman is set to lead the cast.

For those whose B-movie knowledge is lacking, the 1956 original was aCold War paranoia classic, where the doctor in a small American town gradually realised that the residents were being replaced by alien duplicates. The 1978 version starring Donald Sutherland is generally considered to be that rare thing, a remake as good as the original (although the focus is less on Reds under the bed and McCarthyism, and more about '70s questions of paranoia, repression and identity). There was also a slightly less successful 1993 version by Abel Ferrara, so arguably this is a project destined to be remade regularly, and Hirschbiegel is merely following a trend.

It will be Kidman's third remake in as many years, after The Stepford Wives and Bewitched, but this could suit her better than either. After all, she's actually a rather good screamer, which is really all you want for a film like this. The busy Oscar winner has five other films in various stages of production, and Bewitched about to come out, so it looks like her recent proclamation that she wants a long holiday is going to have to wait a little longer.

Director Hirschbiegel is the man behind 2001's The Experiment, and this year's stunning and Oscar-nominated World War II film Downfall, about Hitler's last days in the bunker. After the success of that film worldwide, it's little wonder that Kidman and the rest of Hollywood's finest are queuing up to work with him.

Filming is due to start in October – as ever, we'll keep you up to date with future news.

Just when I think they can't go any further...they do. I can't for the life of me imagine why this needs to be revisited again.

Any day now I'm sure they'll announce the remake of Casablanca with Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Simpson.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Friendly discussion :)

I don't understand you people. If you don't like remakes don't go to the theater or buy/rent the DVD. The only people that should be pissed/worried are the deep-packeted investors paying for these remakes.

Remakes are nothing new in Hollywood. The 1941 film John Huston/Bogart's THE MALTESE FALCON was a remake ;)

Edit to add: For those who never seen the (The Maltese Falcon) (1931) pick it up. I think many will find that it more then holds its own with the John Huston Maltese Falcon 1941.

Sorry for the this bit of thread Hi-jack :eek:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
One of the few movies where I liked the remake almost as much as the original.

But Nicole Kidman. I'm sure she's a nice lady and all, but there's something wrong about her eyes. They're not eyes I trust ....

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Actually, the studio is going out of its way to claim that this movie is not a Bodysnatchers remake, despite similarities in the concept.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Actually, the studio is going out of its way to claim that this movie is not a Bodysnatchers remake, despite similarities in the concept.
That's when they pull out some new buzz words like...Re-visioning or Re-imagining

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07
Friendly discussion :)

I don't understand you people. If you don't like remakes don't go to the theater or buy/rent the DVD. The only people that should be pissed/worried are the deep-packeted investors paying for these remakes.

Remakes are nothing new in Hollywood. The 1941 film John Huston/Bogart's THE MALTESE FALCON was a remake ;)

Edit to add: For those who never seen the (The Maltese Falcon) (1931) pick it up. I think many will find that it more then holds its own with the John Huston Maltese Falcon 1941.

Sorry for the this bit of thread Hi-jack :eek:
I liked the original better in some ways, but it went by another name on TV. The Bogart character and the lines were racier - the "code" hadn't taken hold yet. Very interesting comparison.

"Previous versions of the story were filmed in 1931 (a.k.a. DANGEROUS FEMALE) and in 1936 (as SATAN MET A LADY, starring Bette Davis), and poorly redone in 1975 (THE BLACK BIRD)."

I saw DANGEROUS FEMALE, but have never seen SATAN MET A LADY.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I heard Tim Burton is remaking the Wizard of Oz with Johnny Depp as the Scarecrow, Ewan McGregor as the Tin Man, PeeWee Herman as the Cowardly Lion, and Glenn Close as the Wicked Witch of the West.

(Okay, technically I heard that from one of the voices in my head, but I heard it nonetheless.)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Dangerous Female is pretty good. Satan Met a Lady is pretty lame. TCM shows both with fair frequency.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin
I heard Tim Burton is remaking the Wizard of Oz with Johnny Depp as the Scarecrow, Ewan McGregor as the Tin Man, PeeWee Herman as the Cowardly Lion, and Glenn Close as the Wicked Witch of the West.

(Okay, technically I heard that from one of the voices in my head, but I heard it nonetheless.)
The voices in your head have a future in the studio system!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin

...and of course, Dakota Fanning as Dorothy?

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
One of the few movies where I liked the remake almost as much as the original.
Ditto that. Both versions were great. And I don't see how it's even possible to improve on this concept. Oh wait---lots of blood and guns. What was I thinking?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy
Ditto that. Both versions were great. And I don't see how it's even possible to improve on this concept. Oh wait---lots of blood and guns. What was I thinking?
I have both Body Snatchers on DVD - neither anamorphic, unfortunately.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake better than the original.

Moving the story to the big city was a stroke of brilliance,

the cold anonymity of the urban environment a perfect

petri dish for paranoia. It's a creepy, quiet, well-acted movie

with a great sound track and music score. If you haven't seen

it, take a look! 4 stars :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's also a TV series coming out this fall called Invasion.

The ad suggests that it deals with an alien bodysnatchers theme as well.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
-Invasion- looks like an interesting series. It may give -Battlestar Galactica- (an invasion drama of sorts) a run for it's money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.