AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Christmas I saw some great sales. Now prices have risen and inventory is low.

I am looking for a 46 inch Plasma or LCD in the $1200 range and have found that TVs in this range have gone up online and at Big Box stores. Actually, it is even hard to find set anymore.

Hopefully with the Superbowl arounf the corner, inventory and sales will appear.

I should have bought the Panasonic TH-46PC85u two weeks ago when Fry's had it for $1200.

Any idea where the sales will be in the very near future. I finally decided to buy and refuse to pay the premium this week vs last.

·
Registered
231 Posts
With CES now and the superbowl in a few weeks, I would wait until the week after footbal ends. the stores should be cutting prices pretty hard to clear out for the new models coming later this spring

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerinfo /forum/post/15507452

Before Christmas I saw some great sales. Now prices have risen and inventory is low.

I am looking for a 46 inch Plasma or LCD in the $1200 range and have found that TVs in this range have gone up online and at Big Box stores. Actually, it is even hard to find set anymore.

Hopefully with the Superbowl arounf the corner, inventory and sales will appear.

I should have bought the Panasonic TH-46PC85u two weeks ago when Fry's had it for $1200.

Any idea where the sales will be in the very near future. I finally decided to buy and refuse to pay the premium this week vs last.

Very common for business's to have low inventory at the end of the year as they want to lower their worth for tax purposes and many states have an inventory tax. As supply grows prices will decrease and like mentioned, SuperBowl Sunday is always a good lead up for big screen sales.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15509064

Very common for business's to have low inventory at the end of the year as they want to lower their worth for tax purposes and many states have an inventory tax. As supply grows prices will decrease and like mentioned, SuperBowl Sunday is always a good lead up for big screen sales.

Max, based on past history, do you find it generally better to buy right before the SuperBowl, or right after?

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15509397

Max, based on past history, do you find it generally better to buy right before the SuperBowl, or right after?

In the past it seems many stores use Superbowl Sunday to generate sales for TV's. Now days it's hard to say though as I recently picked up a Samsung 40" LCD at the end of summer for a price I have yet to see better anywhere else so deals can be had at any time (including Black Friday). I always suggest shopping constantly for the deals and be ready to jump on it when it reaches a price you're comfortable with and never be afraid to toss out a price that's reasonable and see if they bite. I've never went into a store and paid the price they were asking for it, but I have also had to walk out of several stores without a TV, but I usually get what I want or close to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15509961

In the past it seems many stores use Superbowl Sunday to generate sales for TV's. Now days it's hard to say though as I recently picked up a Samsung 40" LCD at the end of summer for a price I have yet to see better anywhere else so deals can be had at any time (including Black Friday). I always suggest shopping constantly for the deals and be ready to jump on it when it reaches a price you're comfortable with and never be afraid to toss out a price that's reasonable and see if they bite. I've never went into a store and paid the price they were asking for it, but I have also had to walk out of several stores without a TV, but I usually get what I want or close to it.

For high end purchases, these days I suspect this approach is the way to go.

The key is to simply not care and to make sure the sales person knows that you are fine with walking out today.

I did that recently with a mattress and, combined with some comparative pricing, managed to talk them down some $600 from their sticker price. I'm getting it delivered tomorrow. Basically, I managed to knock about 1/3 off the price (give or take). How'd I do it? Simple.

- I went in knowing what I want and knowing about the options out there.

- I worked the sales person by showing my interest in making a purchase. With the mattresses, I took my time selecting one rather than just saying "Nah, just browsing, thanks."

- I walked to the door twice. LITERALLY the first time I got TO the door, the sales person said "Well....maybe we can offer you a floor model..." I acted more interested (well, I WAS more interested because the price was great), and then said "Well, I'm gonna go across the street and see if they can offer me something similar or better." The sales person told me to come back afterwards and maybe they could price-match. I said ok and walked out, but not after her repeating several times to come back.

- I came back with actual comparative info (in this case a features list and a price that was actually what the other guys had offered me, not just some made up basement price). That allowed the salesperson to see that I was definitely serious and they should make me a deal. BUT I came back, so they knew I WANTED a deal.

Basically, it's a combination of knowing how to keep a fish on the line (and they're doing the same with you, believe me), and also having enough of a zen attitude that you just don't care if they don't get into your price range.

I expect that, as long as you're reasonable about how much you come off the sticker price, you can get salespeople in consumer electronics to do the same thing. If you're stuck talking to a peon who absolutely won't budge, ask to speak to the manager and see if maybe you can make a deal. If not, walk. All you've lost is time. THEY'RE the ones who've lost a sale. And that's one of the important things to remember: They WANT your money more than you want the TV. They NEED your money more than you need the TV. That's leverage. Use it.

Prices will drop, also. I fully expect that EVEN WITH the manufacturers slowing down production, prices will STILL drop because the production slowdown won't be fast enough to match the purchasing slowdown. There WILL be excess inventory. Whether it's excess for the thing you want...well, that's another question.
But I'm sure that around the Superbowl and even afterwards you'll be able to get a deal because they do NOT want to keep these things in stock.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just ordered LN46A630 from Amazon, which would be uneventful except for the fact that no store in the Chicago area had it in stock and could not promise any specific date when thay might be available again. So I lowered my sights and tried for LN46A550. Same story. Then I called Samsung and they told that they are done making 2008 models and the availablity is limited to what is still in the warehouses. Amazon was the only place where I could get one or the other. Strange situation considering the "bad economy". I hope that some will be available for those still looking but based on what I experienced I am not so sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
640 Posts
do people not know how supply and demand works?

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15512480

I just ordered LN46A630 from Amazon, which would be uneventful except for the fact that no store in the Chicago area had it in stock and could not promise any specific date when thay might be available again. So I lowered my sights and tried for LN46A550. Same story. Then I called Samsung and they told that they are done making 2008 models and the availablity is limited to what is still in the warehouses. Amazon was the only place where I could get one or the other. Strange situation considering the "bad economy". I hope that some will be available for those still looking but based on what I experienced I am not so sure. Good luck.

Have you thought about going to a 50"? Not that much more in money and a 50" is a nice size without taking up much more of a footprint. 46" has been an odd size for consumers as most either go with a 42" or a 50" and I would imagine they made less of those sizes also. Better chance of a 50" being in stock I would think.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15512789

Have you thought about going to a 50"? Not that much more in money and a 50" is a nice size without taking up much more of a footprint. 46" has been an odd size for consumers as most either go with a 42" or a 50" and I would imagine they made less of those sizes also. Better chance of a 50" being in stock I would think.

It was tempting to get a 50 but I am an unrepenting LCD follower and Samsung is my favorite brand to the exclusion of all others. Perhaps not logical. My original plan was to get LN52A630 but again it was not in stock without any prospects of getting one. I even got a rain check from Fry's for 1800 which would be a really nice deal if they had one. So my 46-inch is now on a truck somewhere in PA. It's for my den with 8 feet of distance so it should be OK.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15512480

Thanks for the heads-up. 'Cuz that limited availability that could be a REAL BIG PROBLEM for me.

I'm going to be ordering an LN40A630 for my Mom.

I'm going to be ordering an LN46A650 or 860 for me.

I've been waiting for the prices to drop a bit more.

Could I be screwed if I wait? As in, "Sorry, no more 2008 sets for you"???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm done deciding......

I just bought the Panasonic TH-46PZ85u from Amazon for under a grand.

EDIT: It was actually the 42 inch version not the 46

I was spending way to much time on this and had to just make up my mind.

I can't believe how much stress I went through with this decision.

In the end I chose the Panasonic Plasma for the following reasons.

- Viewing will be done at night with dim lighting

- I like the protective glass vs LCD (I have a 4 year old)

- Did not like the Samsung a550 as an option

- viewing angles

I finally feel free again.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerinfo /forum/post/15516048

I'm done deciding......

- viewing angles

Your honesty is commendable. I went through the same agony driving my wife and anyone near me nuts. When I was done I too had that feeling you expressed so well in your last sentence.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:

I'm done deciding......

- viewing angles

Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and pull the trigger. I think you'll enjoy your purchase very much....especially when you consider the great price you paid.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:

I'm done deciding......

- viewing angles

Not that I don't believe you, but are you sure you got the 46 inch 85u for that price and not the 42 inch?

I am seriously considering the panasonic th-46pz80u but I cannot even find it for that cheap.

I'd appreciate it if you could PM me how you got that excellent deal.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:

I'm done deciding......

EDIT: It was actually the 42 inch version not the 46

- viewing angles

Congrats on your purchase.

I'm the type that has to look at every display and check every price from all the stores before I can make a decision and I even drive myself crazy sometimes, but once the decision has been made and the trigger pulled I do get a small sense of relief but also miss the experience of choosing. When friends and family call me to help them that's why I jump on it as I really do enjoy the shopping experience and the ability to close a great deal.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Let's be honest: Looking, reading, and comparing can also be fun. Once that dream set is in and running, the list of things to buy gets depressingly short. In my case, it is just plain empty as by now I have everything and what I don't have I don't want or can't afford. Sooner than we wish the upgrade itch becomes irresistable and there is no ointment for it. That is how I ended up ordering that 46A630 - 120Hz, AMP and all - after donating my first purchase, LNT40A42, to one of my kids. My advise to those still looking: don't underbuy in terms of size and features as long as you can afford it or you will regret it sooner than you think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts