AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know of a scaler that will take 1080i and apply inverse 3:2 pulldown and output 1080p?

Background: I'm considering getting the Sharp 45" LCD, and a scaler, but I want something that will "do the right thing" with 1080i signals -- seems like the iScan HD+ and its "bob" mode is just going to result in significant loss of vertical resolution when my HDMI source will be 1080i. Of course, I could have the source output 720p, then let the Sharp or the iScan scale to 1080, but that would also be a conversion of 1080i (HD content) -> 720p (TiVo output) -> 1080p (Display), which seems silly and will also lose resolution.

Any suggestions?

Steve

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
(copied from another post)

Be careful when you select something that does 1080i to 720p conversion or vice versa, the result might have just 540 lines of vertical resolution relative to the subject matter. Unfortunately I don't know of any test patterns to prove what you are getting.

As far as I know there is nothing out there at a reasonable price yet for 1080i to 1080p, especially considering that a pixel width of 1920 pixels is needed for keeping all of the resolution and the processing power needed is huge compared with DVD quality. The regular iScan de-interlacer chipset (SIL004) has a pixel width of 720.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfogg
Not in as a feature yet but the Lumagen HDPs are supposed to have this in a later firmware version.

Shawn
1080i->1080p, really?

HD Leeza & newer Faroujda 1080 will do it, and others, but there are pros & cons & $s for all solutions.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Tim,

"1080i->1080p, really?"

Yup, right now they are just doing Bob but are supposed to be getting inverse telcine in a later release. Jim and Patrick from Lumagen have mentioned this numerous times in the large thread on the Lumagens.

They also hope (but aren't promising) that at some point later on that they will be able to add some measure of per-pixel deinterlacing for 1080i too.

Shawn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, with no 1080i -> 1080p solution, and a 1080p native set, whats going to look better:

1. Not using an iScan, and letting the set do what it wants with 1080i input.

2. Not using an iScan, and letting the set do what it wants with 720p input.

3. Using the iScan, inputting 1080i and outputting 1080p. ('bob' mode)

4. Using the iScan, inputting 720p and outputting 1080p.

5. Using the iScan, inputting 720p or 1080i, outputting to 720p.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, anyone have a good link for a review on the Lumagen, as well as dealer sources?

Steve

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The latest NVDVD 4.0 codecs (in TheaterTek 2.0 or those leaked MCE codecs packs) with the latest Nvidia display card (I tried PCIe 6600) does 1080i to 1080p inverse 3/2 pulldown. That is you're ok with a HTPC playback raw transport stream HDTV without HDCP support...

regards,

Li On

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Li-On,

I'm confused, he's asking for 1080i input 3:2 pulldown. I have not seen any 3:2 pulldown on SOURCES through HTPCs. TT and NVIDIA might be able to produce 1080i signals with 3:2 pulldown, but not receive 1080i and deinterlace it.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
That depends on the definition of "SOURCES"! :D Many people use HTPC for HDTV reception. Together with the latest Nvidia codecs and display card, 1080i to 1080p with 3/2 pulldown detection is possible and works well in my testing.

Though I admit after re-read the thread Steve is talking a TiVo source and I don't think a HTPC can handle the case. Then again I'm not in the US and haven't pay much attention on the HDTV forums...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
slacy

I hope this isn't one of those "stupid" questions, but are you sure that the Sharp LCD will even accept a 1080p signal?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup. I'm sure it takes 1080p. Lots of people have been experimenting with their HTPC's, running directly into the display (the outboard "AVC box" that comes with the panel only accepts 1080i). A rep from OneCall also says that it works with the iScan at 1080p as well. So, the set is "good to go" in that respect.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.