AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping out family members with a family room surround sound installation where they INSIST on inwall speakers. They chose 8" B&W inwalls for the mains. My question is: "At what height in the wall is optimum for the speaker placement". A note on the room...ceilings are 20', the length is 32', and width is 28'....all new construction.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
513 Posts
From the Atlantic Technology web site:

"Generally, the ideal locations will be: Left/Right front speakers _ located to either side of the TV screen, at least 1.5 to 2 feet away from the screen itself. It´s actually best to have the speakers a little forward of the screen and out away from the side and back walls. For the best audiophile performance it helps to be sure that the distances from the back and side walls to the speaker is different. The speakers should be placed with the tweeters as close as possible to ear height, when seated. You can try them toed in towards the prime listening position or straight out into the room."

"Dipoles _ For Dipole (our personal favorites) surrounds the ideal location is directly adjacent to the prime listening position, starting a little above ear height when seated, to approximately 24 inches down from the ceiling. They work best right up against or mounted to the sidewalls. Dipoles may be placed rearward of the prime listening position, and in fact, can be located on the back wall if absolutely necessary. But such positioning may compromise the involving, non-localizable aspect of a dipole's surround field."

"Monopoles _ Also known as direct radiators. When used for surround speakers they should be placed relatively high up on the rear or side walls, with the tweeters aimed other than directly at the listeners. This helps to create a more believable "surrounding experience" and makes this type speaker less localizable. "

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Is the best position at ear height or even with the center of the screen? I've heard both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.