AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the repercussions of putting an inwall speaker on an interior wall in regards to the sound in the back room?

I am wanting to put some inexpensive inwalls in a wall that is adjacent to a bedroom (my son's). The wall is nothing more than sheet rock on both sides and R13 insulation.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
664 Posts
You're going to want to use an in-wall with a solid sealed back-box. This will not only limit the amount of sound transfered into your son's room, but also give you the benefit of better sound, because the speaker is in an enclosed and controlled environment. There are many companies out there that make great sealed in-walls such as Leon, RBH, Triad, and others.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think no matter what you do, sealed box or not, your son will hear them. The sealed box may be less loud in your son's room, but the speakers will cause the wall to vibrate, and the sound will be transmitted through the walls, more so than if you had box speakers in your room.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/18237127

I think no matter what you do, sealed box or not, your son will hear them. The sealed box may be less loud in your son's room, but the speakers will cause the wall to vibrate, and the sound will be transmitted through the walls, more so than if you had box speakers in your room.

What if I do on wall speakers instead? Will that reduce the possibility of transmitting sound into the room behind?

I suppose I could find a shallower on wall speaker.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can add some of this material at the back of the speakers and along the studs to further reduce noise. Unfortunately because the double airspace is where the noise would be produced it would still travel to a lesser extent to your son's room. What you can do is build another wall separated from the existing wall to isolate the noise and trap it in between. Here's a great article to read through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts