AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All!

I'm a new member and a total newbie when it comes to speakers/recievers and all that good stuff. I just bought a new home and I have all the walls opened up in my soon to be tv room. I want to go the in wall speaker route for my surround sound. I'm not looking for anything crazy just something I could be pround of when I watch my first movie. =). I was wondering if someone could point me to a full set up of inwall surround sound speakers/ subwoofer and a receiver. I don't have a huge budget because my fiance handles the finances. So I'm looking to spend around $500-600 for everything.

I found the following site inwallstore.com I like the price of these but I don't know if there good. Anyone have experience with them? If recommended what reciever to sub should I go with?

Thanks again for anyone that responds to this thread. =)

·
Registered
635 Posts
1 - Welcome aboard. This is a great place with a lot of great ideas.

2 - We'll try to help as much as possible but, at the end of the day, you are the one that gets to live with the system. Make a choice because it sounds right to you, not because I tell you that the other way is stupid.

Ok, so on to your setup. $5-600 sounds like a tough budget to fit into for an entire audio setup, to me. The tough part is going to be fitting in a decent receiver and sub for that budget. Honestly, you could spend that budget on the speakers, and then spend it again on a receiver and sub...easily.

I don't know what your long term plans are, but something I was thinking about is it's a good thing you have selected an in-wall route. Mainly because you could go with some entry level in-walls to get you by for the time being. By entry level, I mean the cheapest thing you can find that sound comes out of still. They probably won't be bigger than your future ones, so the holes won't hurt you.

I think it would be smart to focus the majority of your budget on the receiver, that will give you some room to grow. The speakers are EASY to upgrade, even in pairs, or one at a time as budget allows, or whatever. The receiver is a tougher leap.

One idea is to get a system kind of like the Klipsch Quintet system. It comes with 5 speakers and a sub - but no receiver. That way you can select a receiver that meets your current, and expected future needs. You could wall mount these in similar locations to where you might be thinking in-wall speakers would go...and you would get a sub-woofer.

BTW - that website you referenced sells a ton of different brands of speakers, so I'm not sure which you referred to when you said "I like the price of these but I don't know if there good".

This is a lot of rambling, but there is a lot that goes into figuring out what to do to get the most from your money. You will probably find that you will want to stretch your budget a bit to get something that will last a little longer. Or, if you are patient, and can get good deals on things...maybe used on Craigslist or something, then you can probably work it out. Don't forget about cables/wiring/power costs as well.

Hopefully this helped get some ideas going and you can respond with some more questions or decisions about what you want to do.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2281 /forum/post/17017207

What would you recommend for a receiver. Again I don't need anything to fancy just something I will be able to grow with.

I would think for a MINIMUM as something to grow with, you would want/need atleast HDMI switching and upconvert through Component. My recommendation would be to get something with upconvert through HDMI though. For a touch more money, you could get something that upscaled through HDMI as well. A receiver that has all of this would be in the high $400 range though. It would be worth it because you wouldn't have to change receivers for a long time...and you would only need to buy one set of cables. If you go too entry level on the receiver, you will buy a bunch of analog cables to get it hooked up, and then need to buy the digital cables later when you upgraded.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.