AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Panasonic 75U and am looking to improve the quality of of my non dvd sources.

DirecTV via Svideo

Interlaced DVD Player svideo and component.

ReplayTV via Svideo

I have a Yamaha Rxv-800 that I use as my svideo switching device. All my DirecTV and OTA goes through the ReplayTV box and I would like to watch that on my projector. I do have a vcr, laser disc, and Xbox, that are currently using composite video too.

I had been dragging my pc into the family room to watch movies on my projector as I don't have everything mounted yet.

For the ReplayTV am I better to get the VB50 box and run everything through it to the projector or should I leave my PC in the room and just add a IO Magic card and dscaler for my other sources? I'm not opposed to leaving my pc in the other room but it isn't quite a dedicated HTPC yet.

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've tried both. After much direct comparison, I went with the IOMagic/DScaler combo. Its cheaper (was able to return the VB50). I found the DScaler image to be better in most regards. DScaler is alot more convenient for me as all of my use is actually in my home office. It lets me do things in a window or set things to pop over the DScaler overlay if I'm waiting for something.

Now, of course, that kind of thing isn't actually going to be a convenience for you unless you're going to eventually set your PC up permanently in your family room and then intend to use it for normal PC functions sometimes. Just setting up the VB50 as a component in a family room setting can be far more convenient. It really is pretty much just plug and play (you'll want to adjust some of the settings from factory default for sure, but the adjustments are rather coarse, so it'll be pretty much a "well duh" decision between leaving a setting on this click or that click). It does a really good job (the best PQ I've found on any such device for less than $100, and I've had at least half a dozen over the past 3-4 years). I was able to test it with DVD, GameCube and a Dreamcast all via SVideo, and all were comparable to my DScaler setup. The DScaler did edge out the VB50 in PQ on pretty much every count, but I'm also running an Athlon 1.4gig, so if you don't have a pretty beefy CPU (900mhz-1ghz, at least), you're not likely going to be able to do everything with DScaler that I normally do without droping frames (another point in the VB50s favor).

Just food for thought there. They're close enough that you may not care about the difference, so just pick what's most convenient for you. If you're wanting the absolute best image for these sorts of sources, I would have to give the nod to the IOMagic/DScaler setup backed by plenty of CPU.

On a side note, Best Buy has started carrying the VB50 at retail (ostensibly as an accessory for their little herd of Viewsonic flat panel displays). Still $130, though, but gives folks an alternative to CompUSA and online purchase.

Kensai

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the information. I have an Athlon 750 w/ 576M of Ram, eventually my HTPC will be a P4 in the 1.5+ range with a bunch of DDR. I think I'll go with the OI Magic and dScaler, what can I say I'm a computer geek.

Josh

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, if you ever have the urge to geek out, the Dscaler combo will oblige you much more than the VB50. I only got maybe 30 minutes of experimentation in with the VB50, and most of that was because I was playing SSX Tricky on my GameCube through it (for testing purposes, of course).

Anyway, the Athlon 750 should suffice for most things. It should do video easy enough. The preffered deinterlace method for video games, though, is Greedy High Motion, and you might start dropping some frames using that if you have any filters on (which if you're going to geek out, of course you will). If you do, though, you should be able to drop your pixel width down and that will fix things. Not as pretty that way, but close enough till you upgrade.

Enjoy.

Kensai

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.