AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was looking for a tv tuner card and tivo time-shifting type card. I was going to post here and ask all of you what's the cheapest pvr card to buy. I ask this because I saw the hauppauge cards and they were like 200 bucks. Then somehow someone posted this IOMagic PC PVR and bam 49 bucks was the first quote I saw. WOW where did this come from?

So basically what are your experiences with it? Is it worth it? What does the 200 dollar card have that this card doesn't? I dont need fancy features basically mpeg 2 time shift and record movies from tv and vhs.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Hauppage is the more expensive brand. IOmagic is the less known brand. You're paying for the name and may be more software/features. Lots have had good luck with this Iomagic card saying it had cleaner Svideo input image (from DSS and SVHS sources) compared to Cybertainment which is another budget capture card and to WinTV Go (Hauppage budget model with only composite input and mono sound). There was a multiple page thread about this card a few weeks ago. You may want to search for "Iomagic" to find it.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
do a search for IO Magic. There is a ton of inormation here about that board.

It offers the cleanest svideo input of any dscaler compatible card. Very little noise. There are modded cards available on this forum which if you have alot of patience you can order one, and they will offer better colors.

But for around $50 this card really shines.

Also don't expect Tivo like functionality out of this thing. IMO, the TV/SAT capture/recording/scheduling abilites of PCs are just not all there yet.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
the IO Magic card's video is very clean when used with dscaler as mentioned above.

However, IO Magic says that the tuner supports stereo sound... But to myself and other's lurking in this forum the sound sounds like mono (2 channel sound but same sound in both channels).

So if you use dscaler for working with an external DVD or VCR video input and don't use the tuner of this card it is a great deal.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
from what i can tell the iomagic card doesnt do stereo which isnt really and issue unless you plan on using the ntsc tuner.

the s-video input is very clean and it produces an outstanding output for the price. i can email you some dscaler screen captures which i think show how clean the s-video input on this card really is.

this may sound like heressy to many on this board but after a week of comparing the pcpvr to the > 200.00 falcon, i kept the pcpvr. your results may vary.

good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.