AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
nice screenshots! It looks like the $39.99 was a great investment Kudos to the dscaler team, and the people who brought the IO Magic to the attention of this forum.

this vBulletin software on this forum is very strange.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
source is the S-video output of an rca dtc100 which i use for reception of local ota digital and analog channels. i didnt have a dvd player nearby when i was tweaking so i figured this would be comparable. I mainly wanted to show that with a clean source, this cheap capture card can produce a high pq with little noise. btw, these were obtained without any color calibration in dscaler so there is room for improvement.

I dont have a game system but i could do some dvd screen captures this weekend. my girlfriend doesnt let me "play" with the tv during the week.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I get the same "play" comments whenever I work on the computer, even if I am paying the bills online! oh well.

I've read comments lately about how Time Warner Digital Cable suffers from the same compression artifacts as SD Satelite. Can anyone confirm this for me? And since the comments were from a different part of the country (very) would this be the sort of thing that would vary within Time Warner or not. I already pay $40 a month for very lousy analog cable, so I would imagine that if I paid more for digital, and saw compression artifacts, I would end up being even more disappointed.

I wish I could use the satelite dish of my choice, but an 8,000 foot mountain prevents me from doing that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
q2,

Thanks for posting the juicy descaler grabs! If you get a chance, grab some sequential stills on a paused digital source. With tiffs of the stills it would be possible to compare any noise present.

hmcgrath,

Well - I can't speak for time warner digital cable, but the AT&T digital cable out here in california certainly suffers from the same compression artifacts as dss.

It is the same mpeg compression after all... I just wish the guys with the keys to the encoders were willing to spend a little more bandwidth on pq, instead splitting the bandwidth to provide us with 31 flavors of qvc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
can you tell me all of the inputs and outputs are on this iomagic pc pvr card. are all of the connectors on the card itself, or does it require an additional breakoutbox (a-la ati tv wonder). i have looked all over the web, but can't find that much information on this card, so if you could, please provide me as much info as possible (digital camera pics would be awesome also, if at all possible). thanks

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
thank you mr. deathmonkey.

soopadoopa - the IO Magic has Svideo input, Composite Input, Coax Input, 1/8" Mini-Stereo Jack output. These are all on the PCI Card.

the mini-stereo jack provides the audio out from the tuner. This, from all accounts so far, is only outputting mono sound, not stereo.

The SVIDEO input on capture cards is currently the only thing that will give you a really good picture. The quality on the IO Magic is very good as you can see from the screen shots.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am running Direct TV sat feed to my I/O Magic card with DScaler and a Barco 801s data PJ. I am getting just about the same results and am very happy with the set up considering the absolute bargain basement cost. Easy to set up also, BTW.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question but is this the same card shown on iomagic's web site?

http://www.iomagic.com/support/video...CPVR/index.htm

Their FAQ says this about the S-video connector:

"On the back of my card, there are "Comp", and "S-Video" input plugs. What are those for?

A. Those features are not supported on this version of the PC PVR. "

Is this is an out of date FAQ or is there some driver floating around which enables the S-video in?

Will this card co-exist with the Hipix HDTV tuner card?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what setting they use with the IOMagic in dScaler? In the Hardware setup, dScaler wants to know what the capture card is and it doesnt have a listing for IOMagic.

Thanks,

Sal

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sal
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what setting they use with the IOMagic in dScaler? In the Hardware setup, dScaler wants to know what the capture card is and it doesnt have a listing for IOMagic.

Thanks,

Sal
Sal,

Dscaler automatically picked "Pinnacle PCTV Rave" for my IOmagic card.

Try that.

I would be interested if others have lied to Dscaler and tried other cards because the PQ with Dscaler is less than stellar.

I tried a few and either 1) Dscaler did not work or 2) it made no difference.

Joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by q2
here are a few images obtained with dscaler using the s-video input on my iomagic pcpvr. the original tiff images are even better but jpegs are much easier to upload.

http://edit.photos.yahoo.com/bc/rkap...dir=/My+Photos

special thanks to the dscaler team!
I would say these are fuzzy NOT clear.

I've tried with my old ATI-TV-ISA with ATI video player and the image is Yes no visible scanlines but definately more to be desired than strait hook-up to S-video in of 1272q.

Does anybody know differeces between BT829 chip vs any later BT chips, PQ wise that is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think the main difference of the BT829 is that it has no DMA controller to rapidly transfer data into system memory. That's why DScaler can't easily use the AIW cards.

- Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Sorry for the dumb question but is this the same card shown on iomagic's web site?

http://www.iomagic.com/support/video...CPVR/index.htm

Their FAQ says this about the S-video connector:

"On the back of my card, there are "Comp", and "S-Video" input plugs. What are those for?

A. Those features are not supported on this version of the PC PVR. "

Is this is an out of date FAQ or is there some driver floating around which enables the S-video in?
The manual says this too, but it's wrong, the s-video input works fine. I don't have a clue why they say this....I tried the composite input once, not a mistake I'll make again :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.