AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to put anybody out, but could I get casual updates on how things are coming along with the broadcasting (or testing) times of DT stations out your way? Would be very much appreciated.

I just checked out the update on KCRG's webpage. A couple questions about what I read there;

1a) When KCRG-DT starts broadcasting (or as they put it, 'testing its signal'), at what output power will they use? For example, WQAD-DT is broadcasting at 500kw currently (WQAD-DT, 38.1, is the Quad Cities ABC affiliate).

1b) Will they be HD compatible from the start, or just upconverting their SD material?

2) At what time(s) during the day will they broadcast from the DT antenna?

3) In the newest update, KCRG states that "The new digital panel antenna (28,000 lbs) will accomodate our DTV signal, as well as the DTV signals of both KRIN and KGAN.". Does this then mean that KCRG, KRIN, and KGAN will all share the same digital antenna to broadcast their DT signals from? And if so, will KRIN and KGAN all be HD compatible from the start, or just upconvert at first??

If all of the answers to the questions above are positive, that is big news for someone like me - as long as they broadcast at a decent output that would be something like at least 500kw (I live in Muscatine, close to 70-some miles from digital/analog antenna location - by year's end and into early next year, I would have access to 2 ABC (KCRG and WQAD), 2 NBC (KWWL and KWQC), 1 FOX (KLJB), 1 CBS (KGAN), and 1 PBS (KRIN).

Can any Iowa City/Cedar Rapids HD viewers receive WQAD-DT 38.1 (QC ABC affiliate) in your area? They are broadcasting at 500kw and I receive a very strong signal here in Muscatine, with a pre-amp (8-9 bars on my Samsung SIRT150's signal strength meter).

Also, I have received info (thanks to dynamohum1 and AVSforum) that the Quad City NBC (KWQC-DT, 56.1) and FOX (KLJB-DT, 49.1) affiliates are working to start broadcasting from pretty much the same location as WQAD-DT as well as the same output power as WQAD-DT (500 kw).

TVMIA for any help that can be provided on these issues.

HDTVwannabe.

·
Registered
785 Posts
HTWannabe,

I'll try and answer as many of your questions as I can. Tonight, the KCRG anchor, Bruce Aune said they were now back to full power on their analog signal, and would probably "be sending out our new digital signal in a week or so."

Will it be HDTV right from the start and at what power? Don't know, but as soon as they start putting out a signal, I'll let you know if it's HD or not. But they have said on their website they'll have the SuperBowl in HD.

As far as KGAN, they are up and broadcasting a 480i digital signal at 500watts from their old tower in CR. They will be sharing the digital tower with KCRG, but will not start using it until the spring...that's what I was told by their head engineer. So it looks like there will be no HD from them until next spring. He said KWWL is broadcasting at 7000 watts, so I imagine KCRG and KGAN will be at about the same strength when they go full power.

Can I get 38.1--no. I'm about halfway between CR and IC, and have my antenna pointed at Cedar Rapids. Don't know if I could get it if I pointed it at the Quad Cities, but I heard it is broadcasting at low power, so I probably couldn't get it.

Other digital (so far no HD) that are up in the area are PAX (47--48.1), Fox, 28, 28.1) WB (25, 20.1). Hope this helps, and I'll keep you updated as I learn more.

mike

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if your position is too far from WQAD-DT's location or not, but they are broadcasting at half of full power, so its really not as low-power as you heard before.

dynamohum has told me that he receives WQAD-DT at 100% signal strength in Peoria, IL.

If you ever wanted to try, I'd guess there should be a good chance you'd get a watchable signal from WQAD.

But then again, I confess to know not much about all this. :)

HDTVwannabe

·
Registered
924 Posts
WQAD is at 500,000 watts and comes in rock solid 60+ miles away in Peoria, they are on a big tower at well over 1000 feet so that helps a bit. It is right at 80 miles from CR to the WQAD tower and 64 miles from Iowa City so at 70 miles you may be able to get something with a big antenna and preamp.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that has been installed for KCRG/KGAN/KRIN?

I'd really like to see what all the fuss is about when people mention PBS in HD.

TIA.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From TitanTV.com
Network CH Station Live Date

ABC 52 KCRG-DT Dec 20 2002

CBS 51 KGAN-DT Testing

FOX 27 KFXA-DT Under Review

FOX 43 KFXB-DT Under Review

FOX 14 KYOU-DT Dec 1 2003

PBS 35 KRIN-DT May 1 2003

PBS 45 KIIN-DT May 1 2004

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx, hawkeye_fan.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi folks,

Is anyone else having trouble with digital stations tonight? I'm having major dropouts on all of them tonight. The signal meter shows a good signal and then drops to 0 and back up. Since I'm seeing this on CBS, Fox, and NBC I nervous my receiver is busted.

Anyone seeing this or is it just me?

Thanks

·
Registered
924 Posts
It was a bit windy last night, was your antenna moving around?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Everything seems back to normal tonight. :)

My antenna is in the attic so I don't think it was that but something else weather related seems possible.

thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Does someone here know what subchannel/subchannels that KWWL DT-55 normally uses? Like last night around 9pm.

Any help is dearly appreciated.

Thanks,

GregB

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MAX HD
Does someone here know what subchannel/subchannels that KWWL DT-55 normally uses?
Try HERE

Or HERE

·
Registered
887 Posts
arxaw,

Thanks for the link,but I already tried that,no response yet.I was hoping someone local to the CR area could punch up channel 55 and see what subchannel/'s they're using.

·
Registered
461 Posts
KWWL DT-55 doesn't use a subchannel right now. If you are talking about the PID then i believe they use IIRC 0x31 for video and 0x34 for audio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.