AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share with you a setup I did recently. I have a sump pump that is in my basement. Mine is actually inside my front wall cabinetry (to the left - see my build thread for more details). I can easily get access to the pump when needed.

However, with the rain season and major snow meltoff season upon us, I figured why not put an IP camera inside my enclosure so I can see what is happening, anytime, anywhere!

I rigged up a FOSCAM FI8910W camera inside my cabinet (it has night vision) and bam!, now I can see, LIVE video, of what is going on anytime, anywhere!

Recently, I went out of town and it was really great being able to fire up an app on my phone and watching if or how fast water is coming in and even watching a cycle of the pump in action.

If anything appears wrong, I just call my brother or neighbor to check on things if needed.

NOTE: This is a snapshot from live video. It looks much better live on my phone or browser on computer.

NOTE: This is an infrared night vision shot since my sump is in an inclosure (inside the front wall cabinet to the left)
http://s302.photobucket.com/user/kezug/media/2014-3-20-7-10-0_zpsb5aad105.jpg.html

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Right on. I like it.

Have you thought about a level alarm that texts or emails you?

It something I am going to do when I figure our which home automation type to go with.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Are you just using the camera straight up? Or do you have an automation system?

I bought the 8905 to play around with my Vera3, but it was a little groggy. A the WAF with the size and look of the camera leaves something to be desired, but that's another thread

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77  /t/1524650/ip-camera-on-sump-pump/0_100#post_24540183

Right on. I like it.

Have you thought about a level alarm that texts or emails you?

It something I am going to do when I figure our which home automation type to go with.

Yes I have but this was something that just came about with having an extra IP camera on hand. So far, this is working just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat  /t/1524650/ip-camera-on-sump-pump/0_100#post_24540702

Are you just using the camera straight up? Or do you have an automation system?

I bought the 8905 to play around with my Vera3, but it was a little groggy. A the WAF with the size and look of the camera leaves something to be desired, but that's another thread

THis is just a straight up IP camera hooked into my network that I can also access on the internet via a hosted IP from no-ip.com

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great thinking. Might steal your idea to put a camera monitoring the sump pit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts