AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if an Ipad is compatible with any of the commonly available Acoustic Measurement systems including, but not limited to REW, Omnimic, XTZ, etc. If not, can these systems run off of a PC if you hook up a long enough cable to connect the mike to a PC in another room approx. 30 feet away?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
There is definitely software specific to the Apple world and you can buy an external mic ( I have done it with my Iphone!).

The mics available for the ipad are just not that good. Its more of a "fun" thing to have then a serious tool.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'm somewhat out of the loop now wrt live sound, however last weekend I was at a mix position while the FOH engineer had Smaart Tools displayed over what appeared to be an iPad.

It was quite cool, with it's spectrograph features overlay-ed with RTA data. There is extensive functionality(primarily geared for live work), and the ease of use seemed spot on. Very slick. I wish he actually listened to the mix, instead of watching the cool gui,.....as I felt the mix needed some attention

For those interested, here is a vid demo.

Thanks

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
The software/gui possibilities are definitely endless and can be really cool.

The true problem with doing measurements with Ipad/Iphone is the lack of a quality/calibrated measurement mic.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I looked at the video link provided by FOH - I also found this video that seems to address the calibrated microphone issue - would like to hear your opinion of this solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaVr_AjzFY

·
Registered
4,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/20896754

The software/gui possibilities are definitely endless and can be really cool.

The true problem with doing measurements with Ipad/Iphone is the lack of a quality/calibrated measurement mic.

I've not used an Iphone, or Ipad, but I'd think there are interfaces that address this. Hell I saw guitar amp emulation via Iphone, in a Parts Express flyer I received yesterday. Never for a moment did I intend that the user would employ the on-board mic. All said, couldn't an interface have corrective values, that once optimized the display could be fed from a small interface hooked up to a Cross Spectrum, or Earthworks mic,..and you're off and running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.