AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a program that will allow you to browse your DVD/bluray library on your htpc with your iphone and then start the movie?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There is a program called DVDPedia which has, I believe, an application that runs on the iPhone and can communicate with your Mac. I don't know whether it can control the Mac (start play, etc.).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
PocketPedia allows you to browse your iPhone locally, it works with DVDPedia on the Mac. Excellent software -- go to Bruji.com for more details.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
just out of curiosity, i have an ipod touch that is looking to have a program that simply lists (with cover flow) all the dvds i own. thats it. i don't need it to communicate or sync with anything else. will dvdpedia do this or must i run it on my main computer?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Anthony,

There are two programs that work together, DVDpedia and Pocketpedia.

DVDpedia essentially create a database on your Mac.

Pocketpedia is a great little app for the iPhone or iPod touch that allows you to see your *pedia collections, created by DVDpedia, CDpedia, Bookpedia, and/or Gamepedia on your Mac, and view them on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Pocketpedia also allows you to review DVD reviews from Amazon via WiFi and create wishlists for future purchases.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The pocketpedia manual doesn't really state this, but are you actually able to watch the video files streamed from your host mac computer? Basically to view the linked files from DVDpedia?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Pocketpedia does not view videos. It merely lets you see your collections of DVDs, CDs, books, and games, actually the artwork and associated info, on your iPhone or iPod touch, that you entered into the respective Pedia products.

As for viewing videos, it's my understanding, but I haven't done it, to view DVDs (assuming that you've already make a digital backup of your DVDs to your Mac) from a link to DVDpedia.

For specific questions, check out Bruji's discussion forums .

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you use iTunes to organize your DVDs you can use Home Sharing to browse and play them via an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or AppleTV.

If you run the Plex Media Server on your desktop computer, you can install the Plex app onto your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to browse, manage, control, and view all of your media.

iTunes is free, the Plex Media Server is free but the mobile app is $5. Either case is dead simple to implement, but if you use Plex it can index all of your current folders and wouldn't require adding media to a new library like iTunes would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts