AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ipod 120 gb, im using ubuntu and banshee to play my files, i can add songs to the ipod, and add/edit playlists but when i eject it none of the changes i mae to the playlists are saved and the songs i just added are on the ipod but they don't appear on the playlist "recently added" , is anyone else having these same problems?

·
Registered
775 Posts
At least Banshee sees your iPod. Banshee on my Macbook running Ubuntu won't see the iPod at all (oh, the irony). Not sure why. Rhythmbox sees my iPod fine though and so I've started using it instead. I'm beginning to like Rhythmbox a bit better, even though it's almost the same layout.

Try Rhythmbox.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 /forum/post/18195502

At least Banshee sees your iPod. Banshee on my Macbook running Ubuntu won't see the iPod at all (oh, the irony). Not sure why. Rhythmbox sees my iPod fine though and so I've started using it instead. I'm beginning to like Rhythmbox a bit better, even though it's almost the same layout.

Try Rhythmbox.

what version of banshee do u have? that happened to me until recently, after i downloaded version 1.6 Beta 4 (1.5.3) , it solved but i keep having the same problems with the playlists

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just have the most current release from the Ubuntu Karmic repos. It's definitely not a beta.

You could always just use Rhythmbox for your iPod needs and Banshee for everything else but I can see how that would get taxing. So far, the only feature I wish Rhythmbox had is an EQ. Otherwise, I like it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 /forum/post/18203758

I just have the most current release from the Ubuntu Karmic repos. It's definitely not a beta.

You could always just use Rhythmbox for your iPod needs and Banshee for everything else but I can see how that would get taxing. So far, the only feature I wish Rhythmbox had is an EQ. Otherwise, I like it.

Ive tried using rythmbox but i have the same problem!
, tried downloading hipo, but it doesnt recognize the ipod, its as if i dont have it plugged in =/

·
Registered
775 Posts
Interesting. Same problem as me but opposite programs having the problem! On mine, Rhythmbox recognizes the iPod fine and Banshee is iPod blind and on yours, Banshee is the one that sees the iPod and Rhythmbox is blind. Strange, very strange. I haven't a clue, my friend. Hopefully someone else here does. I am the least of the Linux brains here.

I actually wouldn't mind ditching the iPod for another brand that supports 'drag-and-drop' instead of the database controlled synchronizing for transfering music but can't seem to find one with the storage and features of the iPod.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 /forum/post/18205361

Interesting. Same problem as me but opposite programs having the problem! On mine, Rhythmbox recognizes the iPod fine and Banshee is iPod blind and on yours, Banshee is the one that sees the iPod and Rhythmbox is blind. Strange, very strange. I haven't a clue, my friend. Hopefully someone else here does. I am the least of the Linux brains here.

I actually wouldn't mind ditching the iPod for another brand that supports 'drag-and-drop' instead of the database controlled synchronizing for transfering music but can't seem to find one with the storage and features of the iPod.

No , rythmbox recognizes the ipod too but i cant edit playlist on it either, and im a playlist freak =/ ....If there was a 160 gb zune hd i wouldnt hesitate on buying it =/

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood your post.

I don't know that I would go for a Zune, but certainly a Zen or the like if there was one made with enough storage. The biggest non-iPod and non-Zune I've found is around 32GB. Unacceptable. I want to take my entire library with me and I've got about double that space.

Oh, well. o_o

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This is only somewhat related, but I ended up giving up on taking all my music with me (although I do have a 20GB - 40GB hard drives I can plug into my car). I now use ampache to access my music from any computer, and I have an android phone and I use amdroid app to access all my music from anywhere with coverage (although it is downsampled a bit). The amdroid app could be a little more user friendly, but it does the jobs. Nice thing is now my playlist are effectively global anywhere on my network, an Internet Connected computer, or my phone...

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Other than trying a different app, I don't have any solution.

You should probably. at least, try gtkpod before you give up.

Personally, I didn't have any luck with a 5th gen Nano either. So I settled on just a Sansa Fuze which can do drag'n'drop. It has some issues and inexplicably missing features, but at least it works. Unfortunately it maxs out at 8GB internal but it does have a microSD slot.

Hey, you're 120GB is considered a "classic" right?

You might take a look at these two links (hope they help):

http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...EWS;hb=07493e8
http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...ysInfo;hb=HEAD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never a fan of the classic. My 30gig Ipod Video still supports Rockbox. Somehow the locked down firmware of the classic is supposed to be a feature for the user? Smells like M$ proprietary market share abuse.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsforpie /forum/post/18239593

Never a fan of the classic. My 30gig Ipod Video still supports Rockbox. Somehow the locked down firmware of the classic is supposed to be a feature for the user? Smells like M$ proprietary market share abuse.

Apple has always done proprietary, as bad or worse than MS, that why I never liked Ipods or anything else from Apple.

I still have and use a NEXblack from FrontierLabs (one of the first MP3 player makers) which is unique because it has no in-built memory, it uses CF cards (FAT32 formatted) and a pair of standard AA batteries (I use NiMh rechargeable ones that last 20 hours between charges on average).

It has no color display but since I use it only for music I don't give a toss about that.

Sadly FrontierLabs doesn't exist anymore since the Ipod pushed them out of the market.

See here for more details (not my web site): http://bohwaz.net/static/nexblack/

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife /forum/post/18239328

Other than trying a different app, I don't have any solution.

You should probably. at least, try gtkpod before you give up.

Personally, I didn't have any luck with a 5th gen Nano either. So I settled on just a Sansa Fuze which can do drag'n'drop. It has some issues and inexplicably missing features, but at least it works. Unfortunately it maxs out at 8GB internal but it does have a microSD slot.

Hey, you're 120GB is considered a "classic" right?

You might take a look at these two links (hope they help):

http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...EWS;hb=07493e8
http://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gi...ysInfo;hb=HEAD

Yes, i have an ipod classic =) , i have gtk pod installed but it doesnt recognize it , now thanks to those links i know why.

Still i'm having problems following these steps, I have hal, libsgutils and libgpod already installed and i should run : configure/make/make install , but I dont know where libgpod is located:

"Starting with the iPod Classics and the Video Nanos, libgpod needs an

additional configuration step to correctly modify the iPod content. libgpod

needs to know the so-called iPod "firewire id", otherwise the iPod won't

recognize what libgpod wrote to it and will behave as if it's empty.

There are several ways to set up an iPod so libgpod can find its firewire id.

The preferred method is automatic. Make sure you have hal and libsgutils

installed before running configure/autogen.sh. If you built libgpod without

them, run configure/make/make install after you install them.

A hal callout and .fdi file will be built and installed. This will query an

iPod when it is plugged in and save the SysInfoExtended file in the proper

place. This should be entirely automatic. If you have trouble with this, see

the TROUBLESHOOTING file for some hints.

If you build with libsgutils but without hal, the next best method is mostly

automatic. You should have an ipod-read-sysinfo-extended tool available. Run

it with the iPod device path and the iPod mount point /mnt/ipod) as arguments.

For example:

$ ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sda /mnt/ipod

This may require root privileges. It reads an XML file from the iPod and

writes it as /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfoExtended. More details on

this method can be found at http://ipodlinux.org/Device_Information .

Having the SysInfoExtended file created by ipod-read-sysinfo-extended or the

hal callout is enough for libgpod to figure out the iPod firewire id."

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yeah, the complexity is why I returned my iPod to the store and bought a Fuze.

I don't think you really want to recompile libgpod. I think you want to try the other method mentioned at the end:

For example:

Of course the damn link is broken.

But, this Ubuntu thread talks about it a little bit more:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611404

Hopefully, I'm helping and not just wasting your time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife /forum/post/18243344

Yeah, the complexity is why I returned my iPod to the store and bought a Fuze.

I don't think you really want to recompile libgpod. I think you want to try the other method mentioned at the end:

For example:

Of course the damn link is broken.

But, this Ubuntu thread talks about it a little bit more:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611404

Hopefully, I'm helping and not just wasting your time.

mmm i cant get it to work, the command should be something like this :

ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sdd1 /media/IPOD_DE_LEO

but i get this error:

Couldn't resolve Device directory path on /media/[email protected]:~$

Linux makes want to cry sometimes T.T xD

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/18209917

ARCHOS makes some pricey ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchResult=True

Meh. To big and complicated. I have little use for the big screen and whatnot. I think I have watched maybe one video on my iPod in the 3 years I've owned it.

I just wish there existed a basic portable player that has an 80+GB capacity (flash, micro SD, CF, or micro hard drive...I don't care) that isn't proprietary, supports drag and drop, and allows me adjust the volume with gloves. I ride a motorcycle a lot and take my iPod with me. Sucks though because the touch-wheel doesn't respond through my riding gloves.

My iPod works well enough, but since it's a Classic, I can't load Rockbox on it. Stupid market-cornering iPod.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest /forum/post/18246084

mmm i cant get it to work, the command should be something like this :

ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sdd1 /media/IPOD_DE_LEO

but i get this error:

Couldn't resolve Device directory path on /media/[email protected]:~$

Linux makes want to cry sometimes T.T xD

Unfortunately, since I bailed out before getting it to work, we've reached the limits of my knowledge on this topic.

Other than suggesting trying the first option in that thread of compiling libgpod from source (which I'd bet has an even lower chance of succeeding), I'm out of ideas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts