AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a head unit powering 4 speakers, plus RCA outs to a small subwoofer amp. I'm thinking about going back to an iPod stereo setup I used on an old car, with mini jack to RCA conversion to the amp. My speaker configuration would be different this time around, though, and I'm not sure the best way to set up the amp.

I think the iPod output has enough juice to be split in two (front and rear channels), but I'm not sure about three (F/R + sub) for a 5-channel amp. Maybe something with 2 designated inputs with flexible enough outputs to have the rear speakers and sub be run together with a x-over?

I could always do two separate amps, but I'd rather keep it compact and not run another power line to the trunk.

I keep the balance set 50/50 front-rear, so perhaps there's some way to do it with a 3-channel amp, with the speakers being run in series or parallel off 2 channels and the sub off the 3rd? I'm not looking for big or super clean power here, just something that sounds decent and frees up room in the center console.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
most 5 channel amps will accept a stereo input.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
what's your budget?

Power needs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No specific budget. I'm after simplicity more than cost. (I haven't found a Double DIN head unit I care for yet, so if I can run all the speakers off the iPod + amp, I can free up the dash space for a backup camera standalone monitor + cubby.) $200-250 seems reasonable for a moderate power amp, from what I've seen. 40-50W per channel RMS is more than enough for the speakers I'm running, and any competent amp reaches that level.

I've looked through a couple manuals so far and haven't seen anything yet about accepting stereo input. The Kenwood eXcelon X801-5 was the one I was most interested in based on its compact dimensions, for mounting options. I've got a Kenwood amp in my other car and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
nice amp choice.

I see that it supplies the sub output from A&orB.

If that is the amp you want, and you are amplifying 4 speakers, AND you want to send the signal from the digital unit (ipod), then "to cover your a$$" I would get 2 "Y" connectors and have them on hand.

That way if the amp will not internally feed B Channels from the A input... You are covered.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I see what you're saying. I was reading the A/B thing as a switch for whether or not there's a sub, but it's for whether or not there's a distinct input for it; pg 2 System examples:

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-1019-00_EnCh.pdf

It's not clear how the amp determines which channel to pull the low frequencies from for the sub, but maybe it's both A and B? I've got a few Y-cables lying around, at any rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts