AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a ProntoPro and considering getting the iPronto. What do people think of it? How are you using it?

I saw them demo internet access and bringing up a web cam on it at cedia but I wanted to hear what current owners of it think.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tom,

These larger touchscreen panel remotes are the hot thing this year, to be sure! In my eyes, there are two main units to consider, the Philips TSi6400 iPronto, and the upcoming Home Theater Master MX-3000.

They both have their pros and cons, but let me first say that the currently available iPronto is highly regarded right now! The TSi6400 has 64MB of memory, the MX-3000 has 32MB, either is frankly going to be plenty for a remote! The iPronto's screen is 640x480, while the MX-3000's resolution is 240 x 320. Of course, the iPronto's screen is also bigger. But those extra features cost you, the iPronto goes for about $1300 and the MX-3000 will go for about $1,000.

Having toyed around with both units for extensive periods of time, I can tell you that neither will disappoint. For the whole picture, check around at Remote Central, I'm sure one will grab your attention more than the other, but in my shoes its just personal taste, they're both terrific remotes!

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
To be honest, the iPronto has had a number of teething problems. Visit the iPronto Forum at Remote Central for a lot of information from users.

If you're looking more for a remote than a touchscreen PC, the upcoming MX-3000 and TSU7000 will be better choices.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I have not played with an iPronto yet, so I cannot give my opinion. But like Mike said, in the beginning there used to be a lot of complaining. But the latest firmware and editor seem to have fixed most of the problems and I have not seen any complaints since (but I have seen some positive posts).

·
Registered
220 Posts
The new firmware is much improved, I'm very happy to see the typical Philips bug fix crew at work!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDo
Tom,

Having toyed around with both units for extensive periods of time, I can tell you that neither will disappoint.
When did you get an MX-3000 to play with? There have only been prototypes produced in varying levels of hardware/firmware completion, and the software is only in alpha form.

Just wondering....

Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Isn't the IPronto basically a Tablet PC? I don't know the dimensions of the IPronto but if it is as big as a tablet PC i would not buy one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The screen is absolutely gorgeous but the functionality, while improved by the latest bug fixes, still leaves a lot to be desired. The macros are fairly slow, learning IR codes is spotty and you have to take your time when pressing several buttons in succession (liked entering a channel number). Also, requiring a wireless network to program the damn thing and not including an emulator were major flubs in my opinion. The hard keys are also poorly placed.

I am looking forward to the MX-3000. It looks to be an ergonimically comfortable remote to use and the abcomfortable remote to use and the ability to use .wav files and animation could make it a lot of fun for us tweakers.

I personally feel like Philips has taken a step backwards with their latest remotes and as Pronto programmer and fan I truly hope they get their act together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.