AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IPS panel tv on limited budget **final update-tv was defective!

The main board on our LG 47lv5400 went out. Parts are discontinued. We were happy with this tv until then, but we are not considering another LG tv.

Looking for a 47-55 inch tv for no more than $600. Viewing angle is the most important, so looking for an IPS panel. We watch a lot of sports, also lots of regular tv, some movies and some Netflix. I think 120hz would be great.

Am I searching for the impossible? Every time I find a model number that looks good, it is too old and not available anymore.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
the Sony X830C series (43 & 49") has 4K IPS panels, but I think it's out of your price range. I believe their 1080p panels, which would be cheaper, are all VA.

Might want to start with the Rtings.com viewing angle list and looking at the panel types. I think a couple of last years Vizio D-Series might be IPS as well as some lower end Samsungs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't have much luck with the rtings list. I read something about the Vizio E series and the serial numbers indicating some have ips panels. That seems like an impossible mission though.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just following up to let you know we found one!

Sam's Club had what was labeled Vizio E55-C2. We compared the picture to the tvs next to it and then also checked the serial number. The serial number had a 7 as the fourth character, and the picture was noticeably better on an angle. It's definitely an IPS panel.

We bought the tv for $500 and added the extended Square Trade warranty for another $49. Stayed within our budget :)

We took it out of the box and I saw the model number on the back of the tv is actually C1, not C2. I was disappointed, because we were hoping for the 15W speakers instead of 10W. Very easy set-up and we just switched the picture to "vivid". The picture is awesome, even at angles. My husband loves it and said he doesn't care about the speakers, so I guess I am not going to check with Sam's about an exchange.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, coming home from work today and looking at the picture while watching the news, everyone's faces have a weird pink highlight or glow in the middle.

I tried the various pre-set color settings, but none helped. I found the cnet settings for the Vizio E55-C2, but its still not great. The picture is darker than we would prefer, and pink highlights on the faces are just a darker shade of pink.

Can anyone help, please? Thank you!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd take it back and try and find one of the M Series that Raven suggested or maybe a E Series? We've got a 6.5 year old 47" E in our bedroom that is still going strong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd take it back and try and find one of the M Series that Raven suggested or maybe a E Series? We've got a 6.5 year old 47" E in our bedroom that is still going strong.
Thank you. The M49 is not available anywhere, except refurb on Walmart.com, which my husband will not consider.
This tv is the E series. E55-C1

·
Registered
934 Posts
Use this link and see if there are any available in your area stores? Before Vizio came out with the P Series I was looking into a M Series tv in the larger sizes. Now I can only find them at Costco. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use this link and see if there are any available in your area stores? Before Vizio came out with the P Series I was looking into a M Series tv in the larger sizes. Now I can only find them at Costco. Good luck.
Thank you for the suggestion. When I looked last night on my ipad, the tv wasn't available at all, but this morning on my work computer, it is available to delivery or pick up next week. We wouldn't be able to see it in person though, so I don't think we want to order it sight unseen.

We really want to try to make this one work. The "vivid" picture setting is perfect except for pale skin tone (even darker skin tone is fine). There must me some way to tweak skin tone under the vivid setting and get rid of that weird pink glow...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is it defective or is it's just that the colors are off?

Maybe all you need is to ajust the image with a calibration disk.

"Digital Video Essentials" comes with color filters. It's around $30 so you're still in your budget. ;)

There is also "Disney WOW" for $40. I don't know if color filters are included, but it's probably easier to use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it defective or is it's just that the colors are off?

Maybe all you need is to adjust the image with a calibration disk.

"Digital Video Essentials" comes with color filters. It's around $30 so you're still in your budget. ;)

There is also "Disney WOW" for $40.
Thank you for your suggestions :) I'm worried about using the calibration disk and then not liking what they consider to be ideal settings. That's what happened with the cnet settings. Way too dark and didn't like them at all. Do the disks allow you to choose, for example, vivid as a choice?

I just got off the phone with Vizio tech support. He basically told me that they just put vivid as a choice because people like it, but you really shouldn't use it. What? That's ridiculous. He told me to just try adjusting stuff up and down. Not the kind of help was looking for. He had me email them some pictures. I will try to attach one here.

I am concerned the tv is defective, mainly because I can't find anything about this issue or how to correct it when searching the internet.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your photo is bizarre... It doesn't look like tint adjustment. More like bad upscaling. Maybe it's a mixture of the two. I'll let others comment. I'm not sure.

Do you have the same problem on all channels? Is this photo from an HD channel? I have a funny feeling it's not. I could be wrong. :eek:

If it's color tint adjustment...

With the calibration disk, you could always skip the steps that make it darker, and move to the section where they let you adjust the colors... Instead of "adjusting stuff up and down".

The last TV I bough had the reputation of being too green. They were right: people looked sick on my TV. With the disk, I made the green completely disappear.

One thing to check: maybe your TV doesn't allow for changing color tint on the Vivid setting.

You could always take another setting and increase backlight and/or brightness. Then you can ajust color tint.

About the "ridiculous" part. ;)

It is your TV. If you use it in a very bright space, not a "man cave", you are absolutely right. But...

The disk will show you how not to make it too bright : the downside of being too bright is that different shades of a color will become the same color. So you'll lose details. It depends how well your TV handles brightness. It may be part of the problem you're having.

The disk also has other adjustments. Like Sharpness. Everytime I think of that word, I see my uncle's TV in my head with full sharpness, and he likes it like that. But it gives everybody a white moutache. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again DanTou. I really appreciate your help!

I have tried all of the adjustments including tint on Vivid picture mode. The pink highlighting may get lighter or darker, but not completely gone, and it also changes everything we like about Vivid.

It is definitely an HD show. I was just watching Lip Sync Battle on Spike HD and even some of the lighter brown skin tones had the weird pink glow. I only noticed it before on pale skin. I feel like I'm obsessed with it now, and notice it constantly.

You're right about us watching in a bright room. We have a lot of windows in our family room and even when it gets dark out, I turn a couple lamps on. The tv will almost never be watched in a dark room.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you tried going into another mode other than Vivid and increase Brightness and/or Backlight?

If you wouldn't use these mode anyway, no harm can be done. If you don't like it, just come back to Vivid. :cool:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Have you tried googling your model number for calibration settings or seen if any E Series owners have any suggestions. As a owner of 6.5 year old Vizio E470VL I can tell you that I use custom settings for my television, not Vivid. Mama says Vivid is the Devil ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried going into another mode other than Vivid and increase Brightness and/or Backlight?

If you wouldn't use these mode anyway, no harm can be done. If you don't like it, just come back to Vivid. :cool:

Thank you for the suggestion! I did play around with the settings on calibrated this morning before work, but I didn't have a lot of time.
I can try again tonight. I'm just bummed and not loving this tv as much anymore. I miss our LG - loved that picture. Besides the LG that broke, we have various other brands of tvs...Sceptre, Seiki and another Vizio. All of them had a fabulous picture just by selecting a preset mode. Never had to mess with it.

Have you tried googling your model number for calibration settings or seen if any E Series owners have any suggestions. As a owner of 6.5 year old Vizio E470VL I can tell you that I use custom settings for my television, not Vivid. Mama says Vivid is the Devil ;)

Thank you! Yes, I tried the cnet calibration and it was too dark. I was thinking of trying the rtings one, but I have read those are also dark.

That's the thing about googling this tv or any tv...I can't find this problem anywhere on the internet. What if it is defective? I have not heard back from Vizio yet regarding the pictures I sent.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to follow up and give a final update.

We tried some trouble shooting with Vizio, such as changing hdmi cables and ports, but nothing helped. We exchanged the tv for a another one (same model) and this one is great! We set it on Vivid and love the picture! No weird pink glowing on skin tones. Apparently, that one was defective. We are so happy we were able to make this one work without having to compromise our budget.

Thank you for all of your input and suggestions!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts