Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, no luck.

1. Can you alter the length of an ir emitter wire?

For example, using the IR output of a channel plus all in one unit can I make the emitter cable (small wire) say, 40 feet long so I can control something that is not near the channelplus box? If I cannot simply alter the emitter are there products out their that would allow me to increase the length that are not wireless solutions.

2. Can I make a long run with Line level audio say, 40 feet?

I want to come out of my directv to a receiver that is about 40 feet away.

Could I use category 5 cable to make a long run of line level audio? I assume so because that is how the russound abus system sends line level to the powered wall swithes.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
1. Can you alter the length of an ir emitter wire?
Yes, but you must maintain the polarity. Using a higher (thicker) gauge cable will increase the distance. A 20g or 22g should work fine for an entire house and beyond.

Quote:
2. Can I make a long run with Line level audio say, 40 feet?
Yes you can. I use RG-6 quad shielded. If you are going to use cat-5 use shielded cable.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I am using a Channel Plus all-in-one with this 50 ft. emitter extension cable. I also use normal RG-6 for line level audio and composite video over a 35 ft. run with good results. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you are going to run long lengths for low level signal, it is best to run balanced. Audio control makes a product which converts the low level signal to higher voltage and transmits on cat-5 wire to a balanced receiver which then outputs low level again to the second receiver. Both the transceiver and receiver have impedance matching controls and gain control. This will get rid of any extraneous electrical interference noise and also boost the signal to noise ratio. Otherwise there are also products by niles audio which will boost audio and video rca level to travel distances. For example, I have a picture of one of these devices on my web page in progress.

http://www.aquacatt.net/theatre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.