AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to control my TV,AVR,Roku and WMC on the HTPC using 1 remote. The TV and AVR and the Roku use IR. What do I need to be able

to control WMC using DVD like controls on the HTPC. I have been looking at the low end Harmonies and the URC RF10 Universal Infrared / RF

Remote Control. I only have 4 devices to control.I do not need to turn on the HTPC as it is never off.

It looks like I need 1 additional part for the PC. Is there a low cost solution.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
You need a USB IR receiver for your HTPC. The HP IR Media Center receiver can be found on eBay for about $10 shipped.

You would then program the universal remote to control the HTPC using the WMC codes.

What does your question have to do with RF? Are your devices out of sight?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I'm not sure why you need RF either. But just about any learning remote with at least 4 devices will work for your purposes, from $15 and up. For RF, you can just add a Next Generation system to any cheap remote. However, cheap harmony's don't do RF and won't work with Next Gen. On the other hand, an IR repeater will work with any IR remote. Is that an option you'd consider?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see I had it wrong. I thought you needed RF for the computer.All the things

connected to my computer use RF. Now I see that is not true.I now know what

I need. Thank you for the replies.

Of the 2 devices any preference. The Harmony or the URC RF10

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Since you don't need RF, I'd go for a harmony. It's much more advanced than that low end URC. The 650 was only $42 at BB last week. Don't know if that sale is still on or not. If you really want to save some money, check out JP1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.