AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of the netiquette on this. I don't ordinarily double-post, but I really don't know if the problem and/or the solution relates to the 5100 (which has a thread on Local HDTV) or my ReplayTV, and I didn't want to close myself off to half of the potential solutions. If this is offensive, please accept my apologies.

Right now, the only ReplayTV-based solution I can think of is to fake a recording on channel x a minute before I really want to record a show on channel x. This is crude and inconvenient, and will really screw up my ability to record any shows that are time-contiguous.

Quote:
miatasm,

If you're talking to the 5100 rep, I'm having the following problem (I believe only since the upgrade).

When I IR-blast from my ReplayTV to the 5100, there are circumstances where the channel change does not take place. I have since duplicated it with manual remote keystrokes.

Entering a 3-digit channel, it won't "take" the first time. The display will show the first two digits, then the third digit seems to immediately return the channel to whatever it had been tuned on. The next time I enter the channel, it invariably (over 20 trials, anyway) works. It's an irritation manually, but a killer when it makes me record the wrong channel.

I have gone into a "secret" menu on the ReplayTV, and fiddled with the delays on sending channels over the IR blaster. I've varied the delays from 0 to 1000 milliseconds with the same results.

There are instances where the channel change works correctly. I have not determined what, if any, consistent differences there are in the works-well state and the works-sucky state.

FWIW, channel up/down work perfectly, but that of course doesn't help me with the ReplayTV. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to record a bogus time-slice right before my desired show in order to transmit the channel twice -- that's worse than going back to a VCR for time-shifting.

Any help from Motorola or others is sincerely appreciated.

Claude

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW I'm having the same problem with a RPTV 5040 and the Motorola 5100. I spent probably about an hour monkeying with it last night. Now I have to decide if only analog is okay with me or if I should get a second digital cable box. What a pain.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Punkdork,

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but what would a second digital cable box fix?

BTW, did you have this problem before the software download that "fixed" some of the 480i/HD problems?

Claude

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking a second box might not have the code problem the new 5100 does. I'd leave the 5100 connected straight to my HDTV and connect a standard definition box to the Replay. This is assuming an older box wouldn't have the channel changing problems.

As far as when the problem started goes, I just set up the box last night so it was right from the get go. :( Good thing I already have a TiVo or I might've been turned off to the whole DVR thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
punkdork,

I get it now, obviously a caffeine deficiency was affecting me :)

We'll have to figure this out, or get Motorola to do so. I'm going to experiment with setting bogus 1 minute manual records for the minute before shows I really want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm getting even stranger behavior. For example, 005 becomes 0 0 555 which ends up being anywhere from 555 to 55 to 5. Single digit changing didn't work either. It seems that the ReplayTV box is sending too many pulses of the individual digits.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm not mistaken, I think the 5100 wants to see channel 5 come across without leading zeros. Are you forcing 3 digits? I tried that, and it was a disaster. Is your ReplayTV code for the Motorola 276?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar probelm where I was getting 444 or 555 on my digial box and that was it.

I called up sonic blue and talked to a great tech support person and we walked through the configuration and ended up making changes to the IR code, I set it to 0476 and it works fine. I need to adjust the timing of the codes because it takess forever to change channels (.5 second between numbers) but, hey, it works

Troy

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Troy,

Tremendous thanks. It seems to work. So far so good; hopefully all my shows will record now.

Thanks again,

Claude

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.