Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF IR BLASTER PROBLEMS!!! ARRGH

Ok, now that I am a little more calm...

I have had it with this supposedly crystal-clear "digital" cable, and I am dumping them as soon as Sopranos finishes for the season.

I was previously a DirecTV subscriber, and while certainly not enamoured with them either, they did offer serial control with my then Tivo PVR. Now that I have a Replay, what are my options? I can't seem to find a list of compatible serial DirecTV receivers anywhere.

I have a Sony A-50 I could return to service, and would prefer to, in fact.

Anyone have any experience with this and what works best?

Many Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
__Quote__

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF IR BLASTER PROBLEMS!!! ARRGH

I have a Sony A-50 I could return to service, and would prefer to, in fact.

Anyone have any experience with this and what works best?

__End Quote__

Robroy90, I do not have a Sony A-50, but a Hughes GAEB0, which may or may not be related. My Hughes gave me fits with the IR blaster, until I hit upon the right combination of blaster placement and changes to the codes used by the ReplayTV remote. The old Replay FAQ had a section on the advanced codes for the IR blaster. Unfortunately I do not recall exactly how to get to screen where you can enter those changes, or what the changes I made were, as it has been a while. I also don't recall whether similar instructions have made it into the new FAQ.

Why do I write, then? Because this weekend, after the seventh time the cleaning lady removed the IR blaster (to dust the satellite receiver), I couldn't get it to stick in the right place on the IR receiver window. I had the IR blaster about three inches in front of the satellite box, and an accidental channel change worked flawlessly. I was able to attach the blaster to the shelf in front of the receiver, where it will now sit until the cleaning lady moves it again. It now works much better than before, when I had it stuck to just the right part of the infrared receiver window. At least now I know where to place it the next time it's removed....:rolleyes:

Not sure if this tip will help you, or others like you, but I do not recall seeing similar advice in this forum before.

Regards

·
Registered
826 Posts
I need a cleaning lady.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have one, but she doesn't like it when I make her take off the wedding band I gave her to clean! Actually, I've had an RTV since forever (model 2004 and now a 4320) and always used the IR. I don't think I've missed a recording in the past 2 years! And I don't even use the IR-fort. Go figure...

Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just switched to DirecTV a few weeks ago and I got a Hughes GAEB0 on the recommendation of the forum. It has serial control and from what I can tell it seems to work perfectly. I've had no channel change problems (and I think I've finally got it to stop displaying caller ID).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ah, you're right, it's the GCEB0 I have. I got the two mixed up.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robroy90

[B}I can't seem to find a list of compatible serial DirecTV receivers anywhere.[/b]
You just need to know where to look

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.