AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a Channel Plus "All in Two" modulator kit with the IR repeaters.

I am trying to distribute 6 video sources (three via a AV receiver monitor out) and would like to be able to use an IR "blaster" instead of hooking up 6 little IR emitters to each component.

Does anyone know of an IR blaster product that would work with the Channel Plus system?

Also, I was looking at Avcast... does anyone have any experience with this product?

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can use any IR blaster or Flood, however it would have to come with a 3.5 minijack or you can retrofit it yourself. Niles version is the IRC-1, Audioplex version is the IR FLood PL. I'm sure Xantech also makes it. There was also a thread here telling us of an IR reciever for $2.50 each and it comes assembled with the 3.5 "plug. The company is All Electronics Corp. 1-888-826-5432. Item number is IRD-8. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been using the AvCast system -- and my experience is limited to distributing 2 DSS signals -- but the system works well.

It does not transmit in stereo, so consider that.

The system does not require the additional wiring that the channelplus modulator will. AvCast will also allow for PC broadcasting as well. So if you have existing RG59

Avcast has the benefit of sending the IR as well, which is a plus over the channelplus. Its also more expandable, if you need more than 4 video inputs in the future (add another 4 + 1 antenna -- for each additional cablecaster you add). The system does run on the hot side -- but has always worked and I run it 24x7. Takes about 10 minutes to setup.

The most basic Avcast system (single cablecaster) can transmit up to 4 video devices, so it sounds like it would work for you. You would need to purchase 3 additional mediacasters (1 comes in the base kit, with the cablecaster).

Depending on how you decide to locate and hook up the video sources -- you would need to buy some combination of (5) ir casters and/or ir detectors. If you hook up all video in one place, then each mediacaster only needs a $20 ir detector instead of a $32.50 ir caster. So you can see the cost of an avcast system could surpass the $400 mark -- but would be under $500.

http://www.avast.com/webtv/welcome.html is the link for promotional (35%) off pricing.

You don't have to use the AvCast IR distribution if you don't want to. It works well, I can tell you that. You could always use another system, if you prefer it or if its cheaper.

Keep in mind the main (in my opinion) benefit of AvCast is the ability to use existing (direct) RG59 or RG6 runs -- and the ability to expand beyond 4 video inputs down the road -- and the built in IR distribution. If those don't matter to you, maybe go with the C+ instead -- esp. if stereo transmission is required.

Regards,

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.