Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out... www.bocalabs.com/ir_intro.asp

This company is making an IR adapter that appears to be a much better solution than the IR Blaster that comes with the Replay PC units. It works by connecting directly to your DVR blaster port and then repeats the IR codes to the appropriate unit. It also takes IR signals from your handheld remotes and repeats them to other A/V equipment. Sweet!

No, I do not work for or have any affiliation with Boca labs. It's just that their product looks quite interesting.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think you can do the same thing with the Powermids (x10) or also sold by Radio Shack. I was wondering why shooting the IR thru Powermids gave me 100% good channel changing on the STB, I never thought about over or under modulation, I thought it was a timing issue. I tried all the FAQ settings (and more) and didn't get reliable channel changing until I went thru the Powermids.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I just like the fact that they have a picture of a Replay and not a Tivo :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Right, they're IR repeaters via RF. There is an IR to RF transmitter/converter and a RF receiver to IR. I could not get my SS to run the Motorola STB (after they made some software change) DCT2xxx box. I tried all the FAQ things and other settings for days. I finally started thinking about it: My IR remote was controlling the SS fine but the IR blaster directly from the SS wasn't. I figured it was timing so I hooked the SS IR blaster to the IR to RF transmitter and have always had the RF receiver to IR setting across the room to run all the IR contolled HF equipment plus STB, etc (I have other IR to RF transmitters around the house to remote control this stack of equipment). It controlled the STB perfectly, 100%, with no screwing with settings. Before passing the IR thru it I couldn't get it to even 8 out of 10, with the best tweeks from the FAQs. I've posted this several times but have never got replies from anyone else using this technique. Whatever the problem is, modulation levels or timing, the IR repeaters clean it up.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Right, they're IR repeaters via RF. There is an IR to RF transmitter/converter and a RF receiver to IR.
Actually, the product from Boca Labs (IR105) is not an IR to RF /RF to IR repeater. The purpose of this product is to replace IR signals from handheld remotes and the DVR blaster with IR signals from the the IR105 directly. The way it works is that you place an optimized blaster over the IR sensor on all of your AV equipment. These blasters completely cover the IR sensor on the equipment you want to control. The base unit then receives the IR from your remote, reconditions it and then sends it to the AV equipment. Since the sensor on the AV equipment is completely covered, transient light is completely eliminated from the sensor. This gives the AV equipment a well conditioned IR signal on which to act upon.

The cool thing is that your DVRs IR blaster is eliminated. The output from the DVR is fed electrically to the base unit of the IR105. This signal is then sent to the AV equipment using the IR105 IR blasters. Since these blasters are much improved over the the IR blasters that come with the DVR, a higher level of accuracy will be achieved. Hence, IR blaster woes may be gone!

As far as the Powermids are concerned, I suppose you could use them to remotely control from anywhere in your house the IR105 from Boca labs. but I digress....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rmalbers
Right, they're IR repeaters via RF. There is an IR to RF transmitter/converter and a RF receiver to IR. I could not get my SS to run the Motorola STB (after they made some software change) DCT2xxx box. I tried all the FAQ things and other settings for days. I finally started thinking about it: My IR remote was controlling the SS fine but the IR blaster directly from the SS wasn't. I figured it was timing so I hooked the SS IR blaster to the IR to RF transmitter and have always had the RF receiver to IR setting across the room to run all the IR contolled HF equipment plus STB, etc (I have other IR to RF transmitters around the house to remote control this stack of equipment). It controlled the STB perfectly, 100%, with no screwing with settings. Before passing the IR thru it I couldn't get it to even 8 out of 10, with the best tweeks from the FAQs. I've posted this several times but have never got replies from anyone else using this technique. Whatever the problem is, modulation levels or timing, the IR repeaters clean it up.
Dude or whoever can help. Could you please re-explain this solution without all the acronyms (i.e. SS, STB). I have the Motorola DCT-5100 and a Replay 5080 and I'm definitly unsatisfied with the performance I'm getting using the IR Blaster and the suggested code 476. Please help!

Thanks in advance for a quick responce!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by neosomd
Dude or whoever can help. Could you please re-explain this solution without all the acronyms (i.e. SS, STB).
Well here is a bit of translation:

SS = Panasonic ShowStopper equiv to ReplayTV 3000 series

STB = Set Top Box like your cable box

IR = infrared, a signalling medium requiring line of sight (or reflection)

RF = radio frequency, a signalling medium (that can travel through walls)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm still using that setup and it still works 100% of the time. I have not had any problems since. I do have to hide the IR to RF transmitter that I have the SS IR blaster attached to so it doesn't pick up any IR from the remote (at the same time). (When that happens you see actions like a double press on the remote.) But retransmitting the IR thru the X10 IR/RF repeaters (or Radio Shack, I use both) gives me perfect control. I still think that the timing or modulation level (or something) of the IR output of the SS has some irregularity that messes up the Motorola Cable box but the IR retransmitters clean it up. The only way to confirm it would be with some fairly expensive equipment (which I don't have access to).

Attach the IR blaster to the IR to RF transmitter and hide it from any IR remote.

Set the RF receiver to IR transmitter in a spot in front of the device to be controlled (Set top box), mine is way across the room.

(If you're talking about channel changing speed with the 5000 series I believe that is a different issue. This solution is for cleaning up invalid channel changing, digits not sent correctly to the Replay and it ends up recording the wrong channel.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.