AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was searching around for an IR controlled cooling fan. Reason being is that I would like to put one on top of my Onkyo reciever. I looked at possibly using a smart power strip to power on a fan but thought i'd be even better if I could just find an IR controlled cooling fan, then I could use my harmony remote to control it.

Am I dreaming or are IR controlled fans out there?

Thanks

Ryan

· Registered
6,718 Posts
Why not just get a cooling fan that runs off of the receivers power outlet so when the receiver is on the fan is on? Like this one here?

You really only need to operate the fan when the receivers running and I think this would be a far cheaper option than an IR switched fan. Just my .02 worth.

Regards,

RTROSE

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reciever does not have a power outlet so thus here I am.

I found this IR Remote Controlled AC Outlet for Appliances at dealextreme.com

looks like it does the job, I saw some videos on youtube showing it in action.

Looks simple and easy enough.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13147

Then I'll just plug it into my surge protector which is in my av cabinet, and learn it with my harmony remote, and it'll turn a fan that I plug into it on when I use my harmony remote.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just in case any one was wondering the unit i listed in my previous post from dealextreme.com came and works wonders.

It easily programs with any remote. The unit learns the commands from your remote, so you don't even need a harmony remote.

Even though it ships from china I got mine in 10 days. Very nice.

Just wanted to post a review of it for others.

· Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered this device as well. Trying to set up cooling for my Onkyo TX-SR706, which also does not have the switched AC outlet. Why the removed this on a mid-range $500 receiver is beyond me.

What kind of IR range do you see out of this unit? I'm hoping it's got a wide enough angle that I'll be able to use it without much trouble in my setup.

Thanks for the tip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.