Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you. I have an Ideal-Lume by CinemaTech Inc. bias light for behind my direct view and my DLP RPTV. These are basically just flourescent lights that plug into a wall outlet. I have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to X10 stuff, but was wondering if there is a cheap way to just get a module that responds to IR commands to turn the outlet on and off. I want to be able to have a button on my Pronto remote that turns the bias light off and on so that I can program a macro to turn it on when I power up or turn it off when I power down. Is X10 the only way to go? Assuming X10 is the way, what's the cheapest path to get a SINGLE outlet that reads the IR from the Pronto, converts it to X10 and then switches the light on or off?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you want to go from IR to X-10, the only choice is the IR543 or IR543AH. The IR543AH is a much more expensive, modified, IR543 that will handle all housecodes simulatanously. See:

http://x10.com/products/x10_ir543.htm

Use an applicance module at the lamp, not a lamp module, since your lamps are flourescent.

If you don't want to mess with X-10, there are standalone IR remote switches that will do the job, some of which will learn any IR code you want to use. I don't have any specifics handy. So, you will have to do a search on your own for these.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhe4
Robert,

Have you used this product? Does it work well? Do you just pick a random, unused button from your remote to use as the "light button" or does it function on every button you press if your remote is pointed at the switch?

Thanks.
No, I haven't used the product myself. As far as the button use, according to the literature, you "teach" the unit any button from your TV remote, or any remote for that matter. So, I'm sure the unit has a learning mode where you point your remote at it, press a button on your remote, and the unit now uses this new IR code as the code to turn on/off/dim. So, if using an existing TV remote, then yes, the suitable thing to do would be to use a button that you don't normally use on the TV. Better yet, use a programmable remote that you setup up specifically with a unique IR code to turn the unit on/off/dim.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
never used it, but how about http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924031000
I haven't used it either, but when I bought my table saw, the sales guy at Sears pointed it out to me and said he loved the one he has. He uses it connected to his table saw as the trigger device to also turn on his dust collection system.

I don't think it is what the originator of this thread is looking for, however.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. It's given me some products to think about. I think I am going to try posting the question over in the remote control area as well... perhaps get even more ideas.

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I don't think it is what the originator of this thread is looking for, however.
I know it was not what he was asking for, but before I saw someone post it here I never knew such a thing existed. From what I read, he wants to turn on the Ideal-Lume by CinemaTech Inc. when he watches TV. by plugging the TV into the sensor part, when ever he turns on the TV the light should go on and when the TV goes off so would the light.

Plus it is cheaper then the rest of the solutions, easier (no changes to remote) and he can try it and if it does not work well he can bring it back.

·
Registered
297 Posts
AnthonyP,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean you should not have posted your info by my comment. I had read his initial post as asking for the opposite (lights off when TV on), so "my bad". I did not mean to flame you or be disrespectful. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I did not mean to flame you or be disrespectful. I'm sorry if it came across that way.
Don't worry, I did not take it as a flame, just explaining my reasoning as to why it would probably be better.

Quote:
I had read his initial post as asking for the opposite (lights off when TV on),
I guess if that is what he wanted, my idea would not have helped.

---------

also IR is line of site, so if you do use something where the IR receiver is connected to the plug (like the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread) you have to make sure your plug always has line of site from where you are sitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.