AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning on installing light dimmers in my hometheater and need some advice. I rent so I cannot really change the wiring in the walls. However I am pretty sure the landlord won't mind if i change some of the switches. How easy is this to do? The one that I would change has a fana and a light switch on it. I did some looking around for dimmers and they all seem to be single switch dimmers. Especially the remote control(IR) ones. I would like an IR controlled dimmer so that I could program the codes into my current remote. It does not supprt RF(which is what I beleive X10 is, but I might be wrong). Basically I need some direction.

· Registered
38 Posts
Home Depot has plenty of ir remote control dimmers. Not to shabby on the price either. I believe the one I saw today was made by Hampton Bay.

· Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amonteiro
The one that I would change has a fana and a light switch on it.
Is that a single or double gang box? Does the switch control a light on the fan or a different fixture?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a double gang box and yes it controls a light that is on the fan and the fan

· Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
It is a double gang box and yes it controls a light that is on the fan and the fan
I'm not an electrician, so you should contact one on how to proceed. Since its a double gang box, apparently with independent switches for light and fan control, could you replace the light control with an IR dimmer and leave the fan control alone? Maybe others here have ideas?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An electrician would probably be a goo place to start, but I don't really want to pay too much so I was trying to get all the information I could before hand to see if there was any way of me doing it myself. I don't mind losing the fan switch if I have to. But I think that I can replace only the light part of it since it seems like the switch is independent of the actual fixture. The gangbox looks something like this
http://store1.yimg.com/I/electricals..._1817_15787396

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to Home Depot yesterday and they had a lot of dimmers but none were remote controlled. So I started looking online some more and found some at www.smarthome.com, specifically http://www.smarthome.com/23894.html .

Do you guys know how X10 works is this controllable by a regular IR remote or is it RF or something else?

· Registered
4,351 Posts
I believe what a device like this is saying is that you need an X10 controller box to control it and that X-10 controller box has an RF or IR input.

I personally dont need a ton of X-10 control throughout my house, I'd like to find a dimmer switch that accepts IR commands directly, for example something like this:

http://www.vossystems.com/rclddimmer.htm

Except this one is really cheezy (it doesnt have a fade-to-dark command or a fade-to-bright command for example)

· Registered
2,169 Posts
I recently purchased this one for my room

http://www.smarthome.com/2034.HTML

Mostly because it can be used for strictly onn/off function. My ceiling fixture says NO DIMMERS" so I needed to find one that could just go on/off. Being able to cue up a movie and then shut down the lights via my remote will be very nice feature for very little money......

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Forget the one I posted about everyone - The IR eye is so sensitive I had lights on/off/on/off hitting any button pointing in any direction.... you can reduce the distance sensitivity but I had to go so far down as to defeat the purpose. It would be better if it could be programmed to a SPECIFIC button, but alas....

returning the unit in the next few days - unless someone wats to give it a try in their room - if your switch is not inline with your equipment it may work out better.... PM me if interested.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.