·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For historical reasons, I have two DVD players in my

system. One lives under the 27" tube TV, and one lives

in my equipment closet and is used to feed a front

projector. Both players are Pioneer, one is a 434 one

is a 503. The players use the same remote codes.

Is it possible to put both players on the same IR

distribution circuit? Can players and remotes be

reconfigured with a "unit number" or virtual channel

number or anything that would allow two code-identical

players to be controlled independently?

I suspect the answer is "no", but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can actually use a prodcut from Xantech called a router (RT8). It will allow you to select via remote the dvd player you want to control.

Xantech has the manual online for this item.

Let me know if you have any question.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't even know the price of the IR Xantech router, but I'd be willing to bet it would be much cheaper and simpler to get a new DVD player. Also with the cost of DVD players plummeting it rarely makes sense to distribute them for the purpose of cost savings. There may be other legitmate reasons to distribute a DVD signal though. In most cases these days it doesn't make financial sense to distribute DVD players and VCRs.

Jay

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay,

My problem arose because I have done exactly that. I've got multiple DVD players because it was cheaper to co-locate a second DVD player with the TV than it was to retrofit appropriate wiring between the TV and the equipment closet where my "main" DVD player lives. Since the two DVD players are from the same manufacturer, the IR codes overlap.

All,

Thanks for the pointers. I think I understand my options now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, the RT8 does indeed cost more than either of the DVD players in my system. I'll probably just swap one out for another manufacturer's model. I'm thinking of upgrading the "main" player to a Denon or Panasonic model anyway. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One option that hasn't been mentioned is what many of us do with our PVRs (e.g. ReplayTV). These devices don't have unit numbers so if you have two identical systems and the power switch toggles the unit on and off (as opposed to having two remote buttons - on and off) then you can simply keep one on and the other one off. Toggle the power to turn on the one you want to control

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.