AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need an emitter, connecting block and reciever. It seems as if connecting blocks are usually placed near the equipment being controlled. Is it possible to place the connecting block in a central location? Can generic emitters and recievers (eg. xantech) be spliced and terminated on rj45 plugs to run over cat 5? Basically, I just want to plug emitters and recievers into outlets. What is the best way to do this?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds fine. Xantech has some specs on cable length, but it's pretty darn long if I remember correctly.

I have done similar stuff. I took some cat5e patch cables that I had sitting around, cut them in half, and used one half in the room where I wanted the immitter or reciever, and the other at my patch panel in the basement. Just make sure you stay consistent with the wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This may be dumb but I am not sure how to terminate the emitter end. This is a 3.5mm mini plug. Can I just connect this with wire nuts? Is there more elegant way to do this?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs2n
Can I just connect this with wire nuts? Is there more elegant way to do this?
Yes. If you want it to look professional, find the 3.5 mm plug at Radio Shack and solder the appropriate wires. If you can't find the plug then get a patch cord and cut the end off, solder the wires together with staggered cuts so that they don't short out and cover it with shrink tubing. If you decide to use the wire nuts, be sure to wrap it a few times with duct tape for effect. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.