AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is too much RF intereference for me to use wireless IR distribution (at least the X-10 Powermids that I tried) so I am hoping to use some of the wires already in my home. Does anyone know of a wired solution that will coexist with power lines or a CAT5 network? I'm guessing that there would be too much interference but maybe not?

Or does someone know of a wireless (IR->RF->IR) product that uses a different frequency than X-10, ie. not 2.4 GHz?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Niles IRP 2+ IR relay flashers. IR sensors are put in convenient places, and wired to the unit in the stereo closet. Instructions say to use shielded cable, but I used cat 5 because I had a good supply. It works fine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The Channel Plus System will work well for you, if you wish to send it over existing RG-6 cable. It isn't the cheapest method as you would be buying a modulator based system. It does work well, however. Otherwise, I like the flexibility of the Audioplex Technology IR Systems, as they are the most compatible with wire type and compatibility with other brands of sensors, flashers, etc. I also like the look of their sensors, plus they offer dual band (40 & 56 mhz) and plasma proof systems.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You might want to give it a go with the existing lines you have for phone and lan. For cat5, only two of the pairs actually transmit data (10/100 -- 1000 uses only four pairs), which is why power-over-ethernet works. For phone lines, cat3 cabling gives you 3 pairs, and each phone line only uses 1, so you should have at least one pair free. ir receivers are powered by 9-12 volts, with a minimum of amperage, so I can't imagine this being a problem, insofar as p-o-e works well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.