AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Kenwood VR-4900 Receiver and am about to give up on the supplied supplied bulky LCD RF remote. This receiver does not have an IR receiver built in but it does have an IR RCVR input. I know I can purchase a Xanrech IR receiver which has a 3 part Jack that will plug in and work, but these are around $100.

So - can I use the IR emitter output from an IR extender (or from the RF receiver output of an RF remote) along with a cable which has a jack on each end to plug directly into the IR RECVR port of the Kenwood receiver. Are these compatible, or might I damage something even trying?

The Kenwood receiver is probably irrelevant to this question, because many AV components seem to have an IR RCVR input - its really whether an IR emitter signal is the same as an IR receiver signal. I hope the only difference is that an IR RCVR connection includes power for the external receiver, and then two 'wires' for the singal itself, whereas an emitter signal only requires two 'wires' for the LED to emit IR.

Thanks for any advice which might save me from a dangerous experiment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.