AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Showstopper 3000. My IR emitter is not working for the second time. I can't change channels when I am hooked up to the cable box. I have tried re-initializing using the set-up changes to no avail. The first time it happened Panasonic sent me a new emitter and that seemed to work for a few months. I can't believe those things breakdown that often.

Any suggestions?

Scott

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Have you tried using the other emitter? My Replays all came with double emitters.

Anyway - is ANYTHING being transmitted? Like just one number, or what?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottshiv
I have a Showstopper 3000. My IR emitter is not working for the second time. I can't change channels when I am hooked up to the cable box. I have tried re-initializing using the set-up changes to no avail. The first time it happened Panasonic sent me a new emitter and that seemed to work for a few months. I can't believe those things breakdown that often.

Any suggestions?

Scott
What kind of cable box (or satellite) are you using? I remember reading several weeks back that a box (I can't remember which) changed its IR codes causing all sorts of grief for Replay users.

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I click the remote, the unit says that it is going to the channel that I entered, but physically the screen never changes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer cable box and I have not been notified of any number changes. It was working Saturday night and Sunday morning when I turned the unit on the remote would not control the cable box.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Radio Shack sell an IR detector strip that costs a few dollars. This will make it easy to see if IR devices are working or not, you can also see low battery conditions as well!

Another way to do the same thing is to use a ccd camera, most of them are sensitive in the IR band.

"If" you are burning out the LED's then it could indicate a hardware problem on your unit. This is highly unlikely but is possible. It's much more likely that the cable box adjusted it's software, or the led moved a bit, or some new form of IR interference was introduced, ... If you have an O-scope you could measure the signals on the IR emitter and see the signal being sent. You could then compare those to the signal send from the cable boxes remote. You would need to build a simple IR detector. There are expensive IR decoder/tester boxes as well.

Also search the archives for other reports on your particular cable box.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does your cable box respond to its own remote? Is your replay's emitter sitting really well on the box- the glue dries out pretty fast and the emitter has to be affixed with a scotch or duct tape...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.