AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up my system so that I can close the doors and still use a remote. I have a new Pioneer vsx-52 and a Motorola DVC box from Comcast. I noticed both have a socket labeled "IR in", so I ordered two of these from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I plugged one into the cable box, and one into the Pioneer. It works great with the cable box, but not with the Pioneer. I also tried plugging it into the control S jack, but that did not work either.

I have been searcing everywhere, and get conflicting info. ome of this is because Pioneer has both a IR in, and a Control S in, which are different.

Does anyone know where I can get details on what the IR in jack on the Pioneer is expecting?

I'd like to know:

* Is it a mono or stereo jack?

* How is it wired. Does the signal go to the tip or the ring?

* Does the jack supply power, or do I need a device with a separate power supply?

* Is it grounded, or do I need a separate ground like the Control S jack?

* should the signal be modulated or un-modulated? If modulated,, at what carrier frequency?

* Is it a 5v signal?

* Or is here just some setting I need to switch in the unit to turn the jack on?

With this info, I can find a device I know will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
More than likely the IR in to the Pioneer is expecting a modulated IR input, between 5 and 12v, with signal on tip. This is the type of output that most IR 'out' from wired / wireless repeaters use to drive IR mice.

If you google Pioneer IR in, you'll get conflicting reports about IR IN being for the Pioneer SR control protocol ( which is an unmodulated serial control protocol ), or, the type of modulated IR IN from an extender. Here's a similar thread here about a VSX-92

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1084707

It's strange that a Pioneer receiver would have a 'control-s' input, as this is a Sony serial unmoduled IR input using their SIRC protocol. Pioneer had their own SR protocol / jacks for this purpose.

You could try an inexpensive wired IR extender like this one from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Feed one of the IR out's from the extender to the Pioneer IR in with a 3.5mm male / male cable. Monoprice only carries stereo cables now ( they used to carry mono ), which would probably work, but you can get inexpensive mono cables here;

http://www.pchcables.com/2fo3mocamama.html

If this doesn't work, you could simply use the supplied IR mice to stick on your receiver's IR window.

Jonathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

I have IR in & out and SR in & out. The SR in & out is labeled "Control". I mis spoke about control S.

Posts on some of the repeater systems web sites (like xantech) basically says get the info from Pioneer so they can determine the right unit. The Pioneer web site, and the manual says "Note that other manufacturers may use different terminology. Refer to the manual that came with your component to determine compatibility"

I have a wireless repeater from RS that has a jack for connecting an IR mouse. Maybe I will try attaching that using a mono cable while I can still return the reciever to the store if it blows up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Pioneer VSX-1121-K manual says the following:
Quote:
Connecting an IR receiver

If you keep your stereo components in a closed cabinet or shelving unit, or you wish to use the sub zone remote control in another zone, you can use an optional IR receiver (such as a Niles or Xantech unit) to control your system instead of the remote sensor on the front panel of this receiver.
  • Remote operation may not be possible if direct light from a strong fluorescent lamp is shining on the IR receiver remote sensor window.
  • Note that other manufacturers may not use the IR terminology. Refer to the manual that came with your component to check for IR compatibility.
  • If using two remote controls (at the same time), the IR receiver's remote sensor takes priority over the remote sensor on the front panel.

That sounds like "IR in" is looking to connect (directly) to an IR receiver, as opposed to a cable to a repeater block's "IR flasher out," though I haven't tried it since a regular IR flasher on the front seems to work just fine. I'm not sure if you could then connect the Pioneer's "IR out" to a (single or dual) flasher, or to the input of a repeater block...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are two "systems" out there ... one uses a 5 volt receiver the other 12 volt. Most of the cheaper receivers you see out there are meant for use with hdmi switches, matrix etc .. they use a 5v system to match the HDMI bus. Xantech type systems use 12 volt receivers, although I have no experience with your pioneer model, I would put pretty heavy odds on it needing a 12v receiver, i would be willing to bet the one from mono is 5v.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.