AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing an A/V setup in a new house, going the DIY route and am reaching a breaking point. I've got a few IR issues I can't seem to get past, and would appreciate any solutions. Right now my setup includes a media closet in the basement. For my audio distribution I have the HTD MCA-66 amp with 6 keypads throughout the house. IR control includes one Xantech dinkylink receiver at one TV, with another dinkylink receiver downstairs which is placed in front of the IR emitter from the HTD amp (which receives its IR signals from the upstairs keypads). These IR receivers are eventually wired to a 795-44 connecting block, with emitters to all of my equipment. Here are my issues I'm dealing with:

1) The wall keypad in my study will light up bright red at random times and stay lit until the amp is powered off. This will also light up the connecting block downstairs and the emitters. I have no idea what could be causing this IR interference, and am looking for any suggestions or solutions. In this room I have a PC with LCD monitor, Canon printer, Sony video camera, Logitech remote keypad and mouse, and U-Verse wireless router. At the times the keypad lights up there is no one home, but the computer is on. Any ideas to the cause? I've switched keypads to no avail.

2) I have a Harmony 1100 that I will be using in 2 other rooms to control my AV equipment. I'm thinking about buying the RF extender for this device instead of getting more dinkylink receivers. Will it be compatible with my Xantech connecting block?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid that might be it; knew TV's emitted IR but wasn't sure about monitors. I'll try turning it off when not in use and see how it goes. Thanks.

Anybody have any idea if the Logitech RF extender will work wired to the Xantech connecting block?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The monitor is also what I was thinking. And also, have you tried to re-terminate your Cat5e connection at the problem keypad? I ran into a similar issue, it was my termination at the HTD keypad that was giving me the headache. I fixed that, and now all is well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Make sure you IR receivers are plasma, LCD and sun filtered. Not an absolute guarentee but it does help. Also shading the IR receiver from the monitor can help a bit.

Don't know about the Logitech/Xantech question. Might give them a call.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports fan /forum/post/16931880

Thanks everyone.

localnet,

I have a cat5 tester and the connection is testing out great. Would you still suggest reterminating the keypad location?

I reread your original post and here is what I think your problem is...

When I was playing with IR/RF sending units between two of my rooms I discovered that there are two different IR frequencies that manufacturers use. One of these IR/RF extenders I was trying out actually shut down IR communication with my HTD gear in my gear room and one of my video matrix switches, it was a mess and I was pulling my hair out. In other words, the IR/RF extension unit I was using in my living room knocked out all communication between all of my IR keypads. I switched over to two IR over Cat5e units from Hot Link Pro and that eliminated all of my issues with communication between my zones and my gear room. I am thinking it is your Xantech units that are the real culprit here.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts